Information regarding different sugars and mash temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dietz31684

Reaction score
I was confused about some stuff and really though that this post from Yooper was worth reposting, great explanation...I had a "light bulb" moment when I read it!

Here is the link as well if anyone wants to read it all:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/understanding-dextrin-lactose-crystal-malt-mash-temp-205328/

OP: Just to clarify then mashing higher and/or the addition of other sugars will make for sweeter beers? Thanks

Yooper: Yes, and no.

Mashing at a higher temperature creates more long-chained sugars, which are less fermentable by brewers yeast. That translate to a fuller mouthfeel, and more body, and a bit of sweetness in the finish due to a higher FG.

Adding sugars may or may not cause a "sweeter beer", because some sugars are 100% fermentable while some sugars (like lactose) are not fermentable by brewers yeast. So, adding honey and/or sucrose will cause a drier beer, as it will ferment out 100%, leaving no residual sweetness behind. But adding lactose will cause a sweeter beer as it is not fermentable.

Does that make sense? All "sugars" are not created equal. Simple sugars, like honey and sugar, and those created by mashing at a lower temp mash, will be more fermentable. Long-chained sugars from mashing at a higher temperature will be less fermentable, while milk sugar (lactose) isn't fermentable. So that changes the finish, the body, the sweetness level, and the FG of the beer.

Some sugars will ferment out completely, but will still have flavors in them that don't 100% go away. Brown sugar and molasses are common sugars that lend flavor. Brown Sugar (how come ya taste so good?) has a little flavor and a lot of fermentables, while molasses has a ton of flavor and much less fermentability.

Randy Mosher once gave a seminar at a homebrew function I attended and he brought along a lot of unusual ingredients to taste. He had several corianders from all over the world and several sugars from all over the world. There is a lot of stuff that you could probably find online form all over that would lend a unique flavor to a beer.

These are in addition to the sugars Yooper mentioned that come from the malt and mashing process.

Back