Info? - (seeking basic homebrewing resources)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitz

Reaction score
hi,, just wondering if anyone knows of any good info site for a beginner..have john palmers book, but was wondering if theres any other websites out there aimed at beginners..thanks

Read all the stickies in the beginner's forum to start, there's a ton of good info there. ANd just lurk on some of the threads and ask questions. This the best resource there is, and MOST of us are really nice and helpful!

Read all the stickies in the beginner's forum to start, there's a ton of good info there. ANd just lurk on some of the threads and ask questions. This the best resource there is, and MOST of us are really nice and helpful!

I must agree about reading the stickies. Seems like half the questions I have are answered just by reading them.

since you have palmer's book, read it. its great information, and its written with a 'noob' learning curve in mind.

stay out of the all grain chapters at first until you have a basic grasp of brewing.

Palmer's book was instrumental for me in grasping the concepts. A very good worthwhile read. Do a handfull of extract kits to get some homebrew in your fridge and learn the basics... and keep checking out this forum... an excellent resource.

+1 to this being the best resource on the web. Read all the stickies in the Beginners forum, then read them again. If you have any further questions, Try a quick search. If you still have something bugging you, or just need a reassuring RDWHAHB, feel free to ask:D

+1 on this place. I act like a hotshot to my non brewing friends just from what ive read here!

+1 on this place. I act like a hotshot to my non brewing friends just from what ive read here!

That's a no $hitter. Most of my HB club ask me when they have questions.

Just the other day a bud said he'd love to find a Black Sheep Ale Clone. The next morning I found Yoopers thread and sent it too him!!!

:rockin:

You really can't do any better than here. Unlike many other forums out there, people here genuinely want to help and there is a great sense of comraderie.

It's true, this place has turned me into one of the Brew Guru's both at work and in my club. You don't think about it all the time, but when you stop and look, this place has a broader range of topics covered in depth than I think almost any other single resource. :D

Even though this site is my daily stop, I've also found youtube to be invaluable. Reading procedures is one thing, watching it done is another. I'd do a youtube search and start watching videos. One more thing is if you are going to order a brew kit, then midwest brewing has a fantastic free dvd they can send you if you order a kit that is very detailed and informative on extract brewing, all grain brewing and even wine making.

I'm not sure what you mean, Jester. Sweeping dry yeast off the filthy garage floor with bird feathers is a perfectly cromulent way to pitch your yeast! :D

I'm not sure what you mean, Jester. Sweeping dry yeast off the filthy garage floor with bird feathers is a perfectly cromulent way to pitch your yeast! :D

Only if you'r making this;

To make Cock-Ale.

Take eight gallons of Ale, take a Cock and boil him well; then take four pounds of Raisins of the Sun well stoned, two or three Nutmegs, three or four flakes of Mace, half a pound of Dates; beat these all in a Mortar, and put to them two quarts of the best Sack: and when the Ale hath done working, put these in, and stop it close six or seven days, and then bottle it, and a month after you may drink it.

Didja know that one theory of the origin of the word "cocktail" comes from the above drink?

I avoid YouTube unless the video is posted by Bobby_M, Yuri_Rage, or EdWort. Or John Edwards' speech. Wait. That's not beer.

three or four flakes of Mace?

Maces.jpg

I would definitely recommend some of the more popular podcasts. Basic Brewing Radio and Basic Brewing Video. The Brewing Network's Jamil Show is another excellent resource; and the Sunday Session is entertaining, with bits and pieces of information every once in a while.

Back