Infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrux

Reaction score
Does this look like an infection? I’ve done lots of batches but none looked quit like this. The kernels along the edge is the most concerning. Dont know if it’s infection or just floating trub.

Attachments

• 33C384C4-65DD-42E0-B5A7-6FC40B6146CB.jpeg
    33C384C4-65DD-42E0-B5A7-6FC40B6146CB.jpeg
    921.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 9F88CE1F-4708-4CE6-938F-F722080D79B7.jpeg
    9F88CE1F-4708-4CE6-938F-F722080D79B7.jpeg
    801.1 KB · Views: 165
No scientist here, but I think you are fine. Looks like good krausen!

It's hard to see much in those pics, but from what I can see, there's nothing concerning.

Thank you for the replies. It had just looked a little different than the past so had me concerne.

When I dry hop early with loose pellets I've noticed they can create some gnarly looking brown sludge in the krausen that likes to cling to the fermenter. Doesn't look appealing or healthy at all. No one wants to see how the sausage is made. ;)

Do lager yeast typically form krausen that looks like that? The other beers I’ve made with that WLP-940 didn’t quite look like that.

Different strains of yeast definitely can behave in surprising ways. I just kegged a pale that I used Wyeast London Ale III and there were giant, ugly chunks of yeast floating on top. Before that, I found a trub at the bottom of a beer fermented with a Kolsch strain that left tiny little pebble sized pieces of flocculated yeast. As for krausen, I've seen all shapes and sizes, and that one looks completely normal.

Keep in mind when looking for visual signs of infection, it is rarely something that shows up early on.

Looks to me like a bit of something wild going on in there, will probably be awesome instead of a good whatever it is you were expecting. The 'skin' on top that has split in a few places is what makes it look like to me like something other than just a typical kraeusen. Not to worry, awesome beer lies below, RDWHAHB.

Now 3 weeks in and still bubbling away. Never had this yeast (Wlp-940 Mexican lager) take more than 7-10 days to finish. After 2 weeks looked like it was slowing down so started raising 1 degree every 12 hours until 65F. At 65f I dry hopped. Been 4 days since then and still have rafts and bubbling.

Attachments

• 4393D757-173C-4201-A884-995F6DD0A8C5.jpeg
    4393D757-173C-4201-A884-995F6DD0A8C5.jpeg
    964.2 KB · Views: 51
This looks like it might turn out to be something really epic.
If it is awesome I want a bottle so I can unleash it in my brewery. Nice beer.

Last edited:
Looks about done to me.
I've never used that yeast (nor any lager) and I don't know if there is a cause and effect here, but with US-05 I've noticed that those large chunks of stuff you can see seem to form in batches where I've used whirfloc in the boil... any chance you did that?

Looks about done to me.
I've never used that yeast (nor any lager) and I don't know if there is a cause and effect here, but with US-05 I've noticed that those large chunks of stuff you can see seem to form in batches where I've used whirfloc in the boil... any chance you did that?

yes I did use whirlfloc but I’ve used whirlfloc in the previous 6 batches with the same yeast without this. Also previous batches started with a higher gravity and finished much faster (7-10 days vs 23 days as of now and still bubbling). The only thing I did different this time is adding amylase enzyme to the mash bc I added significant corn and rice trying to dry it out more. But I figured a 60 min boil would denature it and stop the conversation before it went into the fermentor. Previous batches stopped at 1.014, this one I was shooting for ~1.005.

Depending on what your final gravity was intended to be, it could very well just be slow off-gassing rather than continued fermentation.

Thank you for everyone’s help. Got my beer kegged and aging. Initial taste test of flat beer going into the keg was very good

I have something on top of my beer it's green and brown slimy is this Ok plz let me know

Attachments

• 20200812_183207.jpg
    20200812_183207.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
I have something on top of my beer it's green and brown slimy is this Ok plz let me know
Is that in the kettle or the fermenter? If fermenter, how long has the beer been in there? It looks like hot break sludge to me, which might not be a problem.

Ten four. I think rph guy is right above. It doesn't look like an infection anyway. I'll bet you're good to go.

Back