Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackson101

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398293290.155669.jpg
Brewed this beer on Saturday. Started fermentation in about 6 hrs. Then had a krausen for about 24 hrs and then dropped out. Left town for a day to see this.
The yeast I used was White Labs witbread 2 ale yeast wlp017.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Likes like krausen to me. Any idea if there was temperature fluctuation while you were gone? Take a gravity reading and smell/taste.

View attachment 195138
Brewed this beer on Saturday. Started fermentation in about 6 hrs. Then had a krausen for about 24 hrs and then dropped out. Left town for a day to see this.
The yeast I used was White Labs witbread 2 ale yeast wlp017.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

Absolutely looking good! Not an infection, just a nice krausen. Worry not!

Likes like krausen to me. Any idea if there was temperature fluctuation while you were gone? Take a gravity reading and smell/taste.

The temp did jump up few degrees while I was gone. I have got it back down now.

That is what I thought but have never seen the krausen drop out then form back again.

That's the only thing that is odd about it. I would bet the yeast began to floculate a little prematurely in this case probably due to temp since it seems they have started back up again when the temp jumped up while you were gone.

The Whitbread 'strain' is actually a blend. What you're seeing could be reasonably explained as one strain growing and fermenting quickly, then the subsequent growth and fermentation of another, slower-growing strain.

The Whitbread 'strain' is actually a blend. What you're seeing could be reasonably explained as one strain growing and fermenting quickly, then the subsequent growth and fermentation of another, slower-growing strain.

Ok that makes since. Thanks for all the feed back.

Back