Infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WileECoyote

Reaction score
Hello,

I have had a very persistent infection, and the only way I was able to eliminate it was using Hydrogen Peroxide @ a 50/50 mix with water submerging everything that comes in contact with the wort or beer for 72 hrs.

I will also state that nothing else and I mean nothing else worked on the infection I was dealing with, Washing then soak in StarSan then soak in a 50/50 Bleach Bombs then Wash again then soak in StarSan again did nothing, nothing else worked period.

Soaking in Hydrogen Peroxide for 72 hrs Worked.

Hydrogen Peroxide worked when nothing else would, we went through months of research and months of testing infected plastics in mini batches of beer to figure out how to kill this bug.

I really hope this information helps people that are only getting the standard answers, StarSan, Bleach, or Throw everything out.

Cheers :mug:

Great datapoint! What strength of H2O2 were you using?

I'd love to see if you could switch plastics from Brett beers to non-Brett beers by doing this...

Great datapoint! What strength of H2O2 were you using?

I'd love to see if you could switch plastics from Brett beers to non-Brett beers by doing this...

The Hydrogen Peroxide was off the shelf from the local $1 store, yep I bought every bottle they had in 3 different stores, lol

I think you could do some testing real easy using part of a batch or a mini batch, I hope to hear if it works for you.

Thanks for the help BierMuncher.

Cheers:mug:

Help yourself next time and don't argue.

I'd love to see this thread continue with more technical diligence. We have members here with the background to help with that. Maybe more anecdotal evidence as well.

• Is hydrogen peroxide an effective sanitizer (on both yeast and bacteria)?
  • Are there spoiling organisms that are tolerant of a bleach mixture?

Here's a list of EPA-approved sterilizers. http://www.epa.gov/oppad001/list_a_sterilizer.pdf Hydrogen peroxide is on it as active ingredient. When we want to be sure about inactivation of pathogens, including non-replicating agents such as toxins, bleach is your best bet. Prions are an exception though. I am really surprised that bleach didn't work... I don't think that the dilution should have lost its power within 72 h. Did you do independent experiments (i.e. used each method individually on separate equipment) or did you try to clean the same equipment successively with all different agents?

@ funnycreature, we tried both ways, at first it was just trying 1 thing at a time and when that didn't work for us, we tried doing them in a row.

Thanks for the Hydrogen Peroxide backing info.

Here's a list of EPA-approved sterilizers. http://www.epa.gov/oppad001/list_a_sterilizer.pdf Hydrogen peroxide is on it as active ingredient. When we want to be sure about inactivation of pathogens, including non-replicating agents such as toxins, bleach is your best bet. Prions are an exception though. I am really surprised that bleach didn't work... I don't think that the dilution should have lost its power within 72 h.

that is the most puzzling part. there has never been a question that hydrogen peroxide is a sanitizer, it's used in hospitals and industry for that purpose but bleach isn't any less effective. if there is a brewing bug that is not affected by bleach then this is something new.

that is the most puzzling part. there has never been a question that hydrogen peroxide is a sanitizer, it's used in hospitals and industry for that purpose but bleach isn't any less effective. if there is a brewing bug that is not affected by bleach then this is something new.

Or there's another interaction between plastics, scratches, bugs and H2O2 that isn't obvious.

Back