Infection Question..how long to ferment after infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaworm69

Reaction score
I have a porter I brewed back in June....I threw some bourbon stave slices and niller beans in primary (I don't secondary which I probably should)...this or that...I have a pellicle that has been pretty thin and not growing for the last 2 months or so. How long should I wait until I bottle it? I know it will probably be a sour porter..fine by me...but what do I risk here after about 5 months? Thanks ya!

I would check the gravity and see. I would be wary bottling any beer that's got Brett/bugs/wild yeast/anything unknown unless it's <1.010, and ideally lower than that. Some of those organisms can take a VERY long time to attenuate, and if you bottle too soon, there's a bottle bomb risk.

That is a main concern, I did not take notes on this one and it was a kit in which I added the adjuncts, but i believe OG was about 1.06 ish. I have not popped the lid about 3 months until the other day and the pellicle did not seem to change. I will check gravity this weekend and see where I am at. Thanks for the info Q.

Back