Infection or Krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCollector

Reaction score
Sorry I'm long-winded!

So I brewed this rebel rye from northern brewer on May 25th waited about 3 and a half weeks and moved to secondary. The recipe calls for toasted oak cubes and 16ozs of rye whiskey to be added to secondary. So I soaked the oak cubes in the rye whiskey in a Tupperware to sanitize them for 24 hrs then racked the beer on top of the whiskey but put the oak cubes in a muslin bag that had been soaked in starsan. The next morning fermentation had re-kick-started! Let it sit for 6 days with the oak cubes then removed them (witch was very tedious) replaced the air lock to bulk age for a little longer. that was a little over a week ago. Checked on it tonight and found these weird bubbles and white stuff on top of the beer.... I DO see little tiny bubbles rising up the side of the better bottle as if some small fermentation is still going on. It doesn't look skimmy on top or anything just these weird groupings. So is it krausen or infection??? Thanks for your time and help!

1404372322414.jpg1404372304263.jpg1404372287449.jpg

Looks like yeast rafts with the beginning of a pellicle to me. The broken ice pack lookin' stuff around the yeast rafts looks like lacto so far. I usually soak my oak chips in the liquor in a tightly lidded container in the fridge for the entire time the beer's in primary. Seems to work better when soaking the wood thoroughly to kill the nasties in/on it.

I'll try to take a better picture here in a few minutes. I hope it's not infected...

1404418322022.jpg

Attachments

• 1404418332986.jpg
    1404418332986.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 1404418349541.jpg
    1404418349541.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 155
Its hard to tell. Just let it go a little while longer and if it starts getting worse you will know for sure.

Give it three more days without disturbing it. It's hard to tell because of the flash in all the pictures. What you're looking for (in an infection) is a matte white film.

This happened to me once - Wild yeast infection maybe ? It got real slimey and disgusting but i read somewhere (on this forum) to just keep on with it. So i finished fermentation, bottled it and out of 30-40 brews in my brew history- that was probably the nicest. People still talk about it. lol
My advise - just brew on!

I think I'm gonna taste it then go ahead and bottle it tonight or tomorrow and let er-ride. It was a totally free batch anyway. Accept for the whiskey.

Latest posts

Back