Infected beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhantomBrew

Reaction score
Check this out, we are on our 28th batch and this is our second Belgium. We don’t know what it is but it doesn’t smell bad. Looks like from what I read maybe an infection. Anyone ever seen white bubbles that look like another planet?

Attachments

• 12EDBFAA-0F0B-4B95-979B-3C199B07C8F6.jpeg
    12EDBFAA-0F0B-4B95-979B-3C199B07C8F6.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
I don't know if it would work with beer the same way, but whenever I've had an infected wine (admittedly only in gallon batches) then I heat it enough to kill infection but not remove alcohol, and then restart yeast. Has always worked.

Those bubbles look to be growing within a pellicle “skin”. That’s not supported by normal saccharomyces fermentation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not sure I agree.

Those bubbles look to be growing within a pellicle “skin”. That’s not supported by normal saccharomyces fermentation.
I don't see any skin development. Just bubbles. I would put my money on bubbles from hop creep fermentation, but surely I could be wrong.

Edit: Wrong thread, my answer relates to another picture.

Last edited:
I don't see any skin development. Just bubbles. I would put my money on bubbles from hop creep fermentation, but surely I could be wrong.
As @Kickass said:
Although there's no visible pellicle (yet), there's a thin ("slimy") oil-like membrane floating on top allowing bubbles to form through surface tension.

I've seen many of those. A denser visible pellicle may form later, but not always.

Last edited:
Ok, so if this thread is assessing this pic

1660578264155.png

there's clearly something other than a conventional brewing yeast at work...

Awesome photograph, by the way. The bugginess is nicely focused :)

Last edited:
Not all infections are bad. Won't know till it's finished and tasted.

From what I've seen, I'd only worry about the blackish/greenish fuzzy stuff that is growing everywhere, surface of beer and the inside headspace of your fermenter.

Might worry about some pinkish looking stuff as onetime I was told that was salmonella when seen growing in commercial ice machines, but it wasn't from the best of sources.

Update*we have since NOT dumped but kegged. We read CO2 could stop the growth and indeed after checking has ceased the bubbles. Next beer that went into that same fermenter got the infection so we bleach bathed it and will probably be moving to glass without drain spouts. Really appreciate the joint knowledge here, will update once ready to drink!

and will probably be moving to glass without drain spouts.
Interesting. I put holes in my glass fermenters so I could put spigots in them. I haven't had any issues, but I either completely disassemble my spigots or toss them after one use and put a new one in them.

Be careful with glass. When it does break it's so sharp you won't realize you were cut until you see a pool of blood everywhere and start to investigate where it's from.

Back