Infected beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockettbrews

Reaction score
I have an infected beer. It is all bottled, is there anything I can do, except dump it down the drain??? When I brewed it, I was all done. Went to get the yeast and knock my thermometer in my beer. I panicked and stuck my arm in the beer. I added the yeast and forgot about it. When I put it in a carboy it looked bad but I bottled anyway. It taste like crap and smells even worse. Was thinking about reboiling it and add more yeast and bottle it

What is the smell and taste? Can you describe it?

Vinegar?

Grapefruit?

Plastic?

Chances are, if it is really ruined, there isn't much to do.

Read through the threads at the bottom of the page if you'd like.

Read Revvy's reply here too: Green Beer Taste

I'd say at least wait a few weeks before you dump it.

He already bottled it, so waiting can be a gamble (bottle bombs!). A couple of weeks probably wouldn't hurt, but there is some risk, depending on what the bugs in question are.

brockettbrews: in my opinion, if you don't like the taste and smell of the beer going into the bottles, there's little chance you'll like it before they become bottle bombs. You could open one bottle every other day until about 1.5 or 2 weeks, and if you still don't like it - dump it. Or, just dump it now, and save yourself the time. Learn from your mistake, move on, and brew on!

Back