Inexpensive American Oak Barrels for aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XtremeBrew

Reaction score
I came across thid company recently, and am planning on picking up some of their barrels for aging experiments. They range from 1L to 20L, and are priced from $40 to $150. I plan on picking up 2 of the 2L to play around with seeing as they're so cheap compared to the larger barrels I always see advertised. The company is Deep South Barrels, and their website is http//:www.deepsouthbarrels.com. Just wanted to share this cool find with you guys.

All for brew!!:mug:

I came across thid company recently, and am planning on picking up some of their barrels for aging experiments. They range from 1L to 20L, and are priced from $40 to $150. I plan on picking up 2 of the 2L to play around with seeing as they're so cheap compared to the larger barrels I always see advertised. The company is Deep South Barrels, and their website is http//:www.deepsouthbarrels.com. Just wanted to share this cool find with you guys.

All for brew!!:mug:

Hello Xtrebrew...I looked at these guys before when I was making some whiskey for my brother, after searching around on the internet and reading reviews...former customers did not recommend them, and one customer recommended this site: http://www.barrelsonline.com/Default.aspx I ended up going with these guys and it was cheap and fast!

Hello Xtrebrew...I looked at these guys before when I was making some whiskey for my brother, after searching around on the internet and reading reviews...former customers did not recommend them, and one customer recommended this site: http://www.barrelsonline.com/Default.aspx I ended up going with these guys and it was cheap and fast!

:mug:

I ended up buying from Deep South with no issues, and my barrel is great. They were a pleasure to buy from. Really nice people

Awesome post I've been looking into getting a barrel but had been browsing eBay but I rhyming know where I'm buying from now.

I really like the look of those barrels in the second link. Does anyone know if these would be appropriate for naturally carbonating and serving out of it as a cask?

I am thinking it would be nice if i could just rack my beer and priming solution into one of these and letting it naturally carb and serving it out of the cask....but that just sounds to easy.

Does anyone know if theres anything wrong with that?

Awesome. The plan is to just get a 2L and bring it out for parties so I don't have to worry about it being left open long enough to go flat.

My wife just stumbled across deep south barrels at our local county fair and brought me home a flyer. Looks pretty cool. I'm planning on brewing a bourbon barrel porter and i would love to let it condition in something like that for a few months

My wife just stumbled across deep south barrels at our local county fair and brought me home a flyer. Looks pretty cool. I'm planning on brewing a bourbon barrel porter and i would love to let it condition in something like that for a few months

I checked out the barrels at the SD Fair....
Not too impressed with them....The bung hole is way too small on all the barrels, even on the larger barrels..easy fix tho.
They are american oak with med char...smelled good tho..
45 for the small barrel, and 145 for the 5 gallon..
He even tried to lower the price for me to 135, but I didn't bite..
Plus the larger barrel didn't look as big as the barrel I have at my house..
I'm happy with the purchase of my rum barrel from one of the vendors on here:ban: and it was cheaper too!!:rockin:

I checked out the barrels at the SD Fair....
Not too impressed with them....The bung hole is way too small on all the barrels, even on the larger barrels..easy fix tho.
They are american oak with med char...smelled good tho..
45 for the small barrel, and 145 for the 5 gallon..
He even tried to lower the price for me to 135, but I didn't bite..
Plus the larger barrel didn't look as big as the barrel I have at my house..
I'm happy with the purchase of my rum barrel from one of the vendors on here:ban: and it was cheaper too!!:rockin:

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't actually seen them myself. She just brought a flyer home for me to check out.
Who did you buy your rum barrel from?

these barrels are new, but chard on the inside. has anyone bought an actual old whiskey barrel or wine barrel from a distiller and aged in that?

Back