Induction???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie225

Reaction score
I am doing full boils, which when I account for what I will lose in evaporation and break material, I usually start out with about 7 gallons in an 8 gallon stainless pot. Due to the size/weight and the fact that I am wanting to go to 10 gallon batches, I would like to relocate from the kitchen to the basement where I do my wort chilling, fermenting, racking and lagering. I am thinking my only viable choice is to go with a single induction burner. Does anyone else brew full-sized batches on an induction cooktop? If so, how long does it take to boil that much liquid from about 150 degrees, which my pre-boil wort is usually at after lautering/sparging? How many watts is your burner? Any further relevant info would be appreciated.

i cant speak with firsthand experience, but here is some math for you...

to raise 10 gallons of liquid by 62 degrees (212-150) requires 5200 BTUs of energy input. (10 gallons * 8.3lb/gal * 62 degree change)

1500 watts of electricity at 100% efficiency will output about that many BTUs in one hour (1524 watts = 5200 BTU), 3000 watts will boil the water in about 30 minutes, etc.

since an induction heaters' efficiency is largely reliant on the type of material of the pot, the efficiency varies considerably, but lets use 50% as a decent estimate (yes, induction is considerably less efficient). you then need a 3000 watt induction element to raise that much water by 62 degrees in one hour. or approx. 6000 watts for 30 minutes, etc.

you can use basic math to scale efficiency or wattage up or down.

Back