Induction Diffuser Plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using 3500W induction heat for my boil with good results. Recently brewed a couple of rye beers and have gotten a ring with a little scorching at the heat source. This has never happened with any other grain bill including wheat. The beer from the rye has not been bad, but it has me worried. My pot is a single layer Bayou 62 quart. No clad bottom. Has anyone use a diffuser plate to help distribute the heat? If so, how'd it work? Did it cut down on the heating capacity?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a follow up on the diffuser plate. I purchased the item linked to above and it arrived today. Threw an over heat error on my Avantco 3500W induction hob.

Free return shipping and full refund already applied for. Got to love Amazon.

I know this is a year old, but I've got a similar issue going on with my single ply Bayou Classic. What did you use to change/fix it?

What did you use to change/fix it?
Never found anything else like a diffuser plate that worked. For most of my recipes there's no problem, just the occasional one that's heavy with rye. The biggest thing you can do to prevent scorching is to never turn the heat off once you've passed hot break. Proteins will drop and scorch once the heat is turned back on. Stirring before reapplying heat helps, but not letting it happen in the first place is best.

Ok, thanks. Had a near-scorching experience doing an oatmeal stout, was looking to avoid in the future.

Kicking around the idea of building a new kettle based on the BC 1316. It'll be nice to have the extra room, and it'll be even nicer to have the ability to do 10-11 gallon batches. I'm running the Advantco 3500, as well, with a reflectix wrapped kettle and doing BIAB.

I have 2 MoreBeer Heavy Duty kettles, both with the triple ply bottom, used on an IC3500. I even get a 6" diameter patch in the center with some brews. It's a more gooey residue, never very scorched, most is off-white. It doesn't bother me or the beer. I do stir and scrape the bottom frequently, especially that center area.

Here's a little trick you may already know to keep your IC3500 from timing out and allowing the proteins to settle. I use a 62 quart kettle and usually boil between 13 and 14 gallons. It takes a while to reach a boil and would sometimes time out before the 2 hour preset limit. Once you reach a boil, you can hit the timer button and set your boil length preventing it from shutting down before the end. You can set this for up to 3 hours, but if you're really going for major boil-off, you can change the setting on the fly and get more out of it.

This may be commons sense to some, but it took me a while to figure it out. :eek:

Here's a little trick you may already know to keep your IC3500 from timing out and allowing the proteins to settle. I use a 62 quart kettle and usually boil between 13 and 14 gallons. It takes a while to reach a boil and would sometimes time out before the 2 hour preset limit. Once you reach a boil, you can hit the timer button and set your boil length preventing it from shutting down before the end. You can set this for up to 3 hours, but if you're really going for major boil-off, you can change the setting on the fly and get more out of it.

This may be commons sense to some, but it took me a while to figure it out. :eek:

Thank you! I was not aware of that trick. I've actually never used the timer, but I do use the temp presets for what they're worth at least. 160F gives me a nice low simmer on soup stocks. And I'm not 6000 feet above sea level, more like 20.

Thank you! I was not aware of that trick. I've actually never used the timer, but I do use the temp presets for what they're worth at least. 160F gives me a nice low simmer on soup stocks. And I'm not 6000 feet above sea level, more like 20.
I tried using the temperature setting a couple of times to hold temperature during a hop stand, but the hob would pulse on at a high enough intensity to scorch the settled proteins. Guessing it's fine for something less viscous like soup stock.

I tried using the temperature setting a couple of times to hold temperature during a hop stand, but the hob would pulse on at a high enough intensity to scorch the settled proteins. Guessing it's fine for something less viscous like soup stock.

When the coil switches on it's always on for 100%. The timing interval changes with the power settings or per feedback from the sensor under the glass plate. Good point on the coagulated proteins sinking and becoming stuck to the bottom, waiting to be scorched.

I recirculate during hop "stands" which may prevent sticking to the bottom just enough. The triple ply bottom will also diffuse the heat a bit more. I'm still not certain about the actual heating power (~drawn power). I don't have a meter that can measure above 10A.

Thanks for all the info AnOldUR

I read a ton of info on this subject of induction brewing and I have Made the switch and couldn't be happier!

Back