India Pale Lager Recommendation Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BiggieB400

Reaction score
So a friend who enjoys my homebrew has made a special request... an IPL. I did a search of the extract forum and didn't find anything. Has anyone tried this with an extract kit?? Regular IPA kit combined with a lager yeast??? Looking for some suggestions on kits, yeast, lager temps, process etc

Thanks in advance!

It's still a very new latest greatest holy shiznits this is good beer style. Sam Adams & one or two others started making it. I've not found it yet. The one I thought it was turned out to be SA Alpine Spring.
Anyway,I'd imagine it's lager malts,but that runs from straw blonde to amber brown. Then there's black lagers. you see where I'm going with this?
I'm thinking something crisp that's like a German or Euro lager with an IPA hop profile.

there aren't specific lager or ale malts - lager v ale is dependent on the yeast strain

you can use any IPA recipe but try to chose a grain bill that is light on crystal malts as you want a nice crisp finish - if you are using extract use a light version and avoid adding much if any extra crystal. consider replacing some of the extract with a simple sugar as well

you want to increase your late hops to compensate for the extra time lagering and possibly fermenting in which the hop profile will fade

the AG version I did used a lb of hops total incl a couple dry hop additions. i did a 4oz 30min hop stand as well once the wort cooled to around 160°

a pilsner strain may be a good choice, you want something that won't emphasize the malt too much

cool a few/several degrees below you target ferm temp and pitch a huge starter

It didn't really jump out to me as a lager instead of an ale, although I used some yeast from a batch of oktoberfest (wyeast 2308 I believe) which is known to emphasize the malt. it was a fun experiment but I don't think the extending aging and loss of some hop profile was worth using lager yeast instead of ale yeast.

^^That last paragraph makes me think of using some of the WL029 German ale/kolsh yeast I have in the fridge. Crisp,lager like qualities at ale temps (65-69F). From the two beers I made with it,I think my Hopped & Confusedv2 would be the most likely candidate. It had flavors like A rich Heineken that wasn't skunked. Euro/German lager sort of thing. But the hoping is the real question. I've got to find some of the stuff & see what it tastes like.

^^That last paragraph makes me think of using some of the WL029 German ale/kolsh yeast I have in the fridge. Crisp,lager like qualities at ale temps (65-69F). From the two beers I made with it,I think my Hopped & Confusedv2 would be the most likely candidate. It had flavors like A rich Heineken that wasn't skunked. Euro/German lager sort of thing. But the hoping is the real question. I've got to find some of the stuff & see what it tastes like.

ive seen several recipes that use German ale yeast for ipas - as long as you can control the ferm temps it would be a great choice

terrapinj said:
there aren't specific lager or ale malts - lager v ale is dependent on the yeast strain

you can use any IPA recipe but try to chose a grain bill that is light on crystal malts as you want a nice crisp finish - if you are using extract use a light version and avoid adding much if any extra crystal. consider replacing some of the extract with a simple sugar as well

you want to increase your late hops to compensate for the extra time lagering and possibly fermenting in which the hop profile will fade

the AG version I did used a lb of hops total incl a couple dry hop additions. i did a 4oz 30min hop stand as well once the wort cooled to around 160°

a pilsner strain may be a good choice, you want something that won't emphasize the malt too much

cool a few/several degrees below you target ferm temp and pitch a huge starter

It didn't really jump out to me as a lager instead of an ale, although I used some yeast from a batch of oktoberfest (wyeast 2308 I believe) which is known to emphasize the malt. it was a fun experiment but I don't think the extending aging and loss of some hop profile was worth using lager yeast instead of ale yeast.

A good hit of dry-hopping toward the end of the lagering period should help with the aroma. Depending on how long you want to lager, I don't know how much you'd need to bump up the bittering and flavor hops.

But I agree, a highly attenuative (is that a word?) yeast strain like pilsner or kolsch would probably be best. Plus the kolsch yeast wouldn't need as much aging time.

With the caramel 80l/120l the recipes use,it'll have some color to it,besides some extra sweet malt flavor. But the chinook one looks like the better of the two imo.

you should produce a fine but very different beer with either grist

i find the amount of hops to be lacking for an IPA and would definitely want to augment them significantly if you plan to go the lager route

neither hop (palisade or chinook) are my go to for IPAs but that's my personal preference

Yeah,I was thinking the op'd change the hop profile to be like an IPA,but with the basic recipe otherwise. I def like the thought of using my saved ale/kolsh yeast. IPK?!:D:rockin:

Back