Increasing Keg Carbonation Timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith81

Reaction score
When it comes to carbonation I don't follow style guidelines, instead I opt to decide what carbonation level I like best for a particular beer.

I'm currently using the "set and forget" method and let the beer carbonate for 2 weeks before hooking up the beer line. I don't judge whether I think the carbonation is where I want it before 3 weeks. After 3 weeks, if I think the carbonation is lower than I want I will turn the pressure up (usually 2 psi at a time).

My question is: how long should I wait before deciding whether to increase the pressure again? To word it another way: assuming a keg is fully carbonated, how long will a 2 psi increase take to reach the new equilibrium point?

Thanks, Keith

A while. The carbonation rate is dependent on surface area, temperature, and pressure delta.

If the current level is 10psi and you boost to 12psi in the headspace, the low surface area, low temperature and most importantly low delta is what makes it slow. Thats why the initial carbonation takes 3 weeks and is a logarithmic curve. Ballpark guess is 5 days. I mean, you might be at 11psi by day 2 and 11.895 psi at 5 days but close enough right?

Back