Increasing Gravity After Boil Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jskinner10

Reaction score
So yesterday I went a little overboard with top off water and watered my beer down a bit. My OG was off 1.063 instead of 1.072. I'm a little worried about the beer not having the body I would like. To fix this, I thought about maybe making a small, very concentrated wort with some DME and pitching it in after peak fermentation has calmed down. Just wondering if anyone has experience doing this and how much DME/boil volume should I do?

Are you sure your water/wort was mixed evenly? Regardless of your anwser I would leave it be. It will still be beer and probabily not affect the body

How much overboard did you top off? Something tells me it wasn't mixed completely..

I personally would leave it be...

If you insist, I'd use beer calculus (or beersmith or some equivalent) to punch in your recipe then raise the volume by a quart or so (boil volume for the addition) and start adding DME to the recipe until you are at the OG you want. I'm sure theres a more scientific way but I'm no wizard...

At just a quart, I'd say that you probably weren't actually that far off, and most likely top-off water wasn't well mixed. Either way, I wouldn't mess with it.

Latest posts

Back