Increasing Body/Mouthfeel for an Extract Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wernerherzog

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm interested in increasing the body of my imp. stout. This will be my first batch. I've read a lot of different things but am sort of confused about what would be the best method. I've heard the following mentioned:

Barley Flakes,
Rye Flakes,
Maltodextrin,
Carapils

What are the different factors I need to consider with these? Which of them will add flavor in addition to the body? I'm not too interested in Maltodextrin as I'd like to use something unprocessed. Also, with the barley or rye, do I need to pay attention to whether it's been gelatinized or not? My understanding was that non-gelatinized barley or rye would be unconvertible in my extract process, lending higher body. If it's gelatinized won't it be ready for the yeast to eat (thus less impact on the body)?

Briess Carapils will add body without adding flavor or color and can be steeped. The flaked barley and rye need to be mashed with a base malt. I have used steeped carapils often to improve body.

Back