Inconsistent Fridge Temps - Danby dar044a2sldd Kegereator Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChilledPint

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently picked up the Danby DAR044A2SLDD from Costco to do my first kegerator conversion but I ran to in a small concern and wanted to get your expert advice.

After I got it home, I tested the fridge for a day chilling some beers. Unfortunately I found out that the bottom shelf area of the fridge gets significantly colder then the top (I checked this at multiple temperature settings with multiple thermometers to verify). This caused the beers I had on the bottom shelf to explode while the ones on top and in the middle were just fine.

Reading online this appears to be a big issue with the model and not just a one off issue.

I'm wondering, if I used this for my kegerator build, and installed a temperature controller would this still be a big problem and cause potential issues with a keg and CO2 tank inside or would the controller address this.

Should I proceed or return the fridge and try something different?

Thanks in advance :)

It's a problem with all mini-fridges. Cold air sinks. The kegs are tall enough that they conduct cold/heat from the entire fridge. I just stick my CO2 tank on the hump and it's been fine.

If you want to equalize the temps, a little computer fan will cheaply do the trick. You can also build it such that the air circulates up to the tower and keeps that cooler as well.

Latest posts

Back