Inconsistant alcohol level

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsmith0061

Reaction score
I have brewed the same recipe 3 times in the same place. First 2 were a consistant 7.3% alcohol level, however the last was 3.8%. What could have caused this?

I have brewed the same recipe 3 times in the same place. First 2 were a consistant 7.3% alcohol level, however the last was 3.8%. What could have caused this?

If you're using extracts then the only way to get a different reading is
1. Not enough extract/too much
2. Too much water added/not enough added
3. Improper mixing resulting in you drawing up either the extract laden wort or the top off water.
4. Hydrometer is broken, off or the temperature you're doing the reading is too high and the conversion chart doesn't work.

What was the recipe and volume?

EDIT*

Removed link since the thread has been moved.

Or stuck fermentation.... We'll need to know some numbers to know what your talking about.

well I use all grain, no extracts. I did pitch more water to try to extract more from the mash so my boil was longer because I had to evaporate more to reach 5 gallons. Also, it spent more time in the secondary. The past stouts were in the primary 2 weeks and the secondary for a month, this one was in the secondary for 2 months. Past hydrometer readings were 1.030 beginning and 1.085 ending. This one was 1.030 beginning and 1.050 ending. Same water sourse, same recipe including the same yeast.

Sounds like low attenuation to me or you mashed way too high created a lot of dextrins the yeast couldn't eat refer to first possibility low attenuation. Or could just be really bad mash conversion.

rsmith0061 said:
well I use all grain, no extracts. I did pitch more water to try to extract more from the mash so my boil was longer because I had to evaporate more to reach 5 gallons. Also, it spent more time in the secondary. The past stouts were in the primary 2 weeks and the secondary for a month, this one was in the secondary for 2 months. Past hydrometer readings were 1.030 beginning and 1.085 ending. This one was 1.030 beginning and 1.050 ending. Same water sourse, same recipe including the same yeast.

Hold up I just read this part . Is this like a April fools joke ? I don't think what you wrote is possible ... Actually I know it's not. Did you transpose you og-fg ?

no joke, I been brewing a while and it has stunned me. But this totally happened, I even had the alcohol booster in it. I even put the hydrometer in plain water to make sure it was reading correctly.

This is not possible. Your starting sg will always be higher then your finishing sg. SO we first need you to read the hydro the right way then we can help out.

Ok I just did some work on this if you are using your hydro incorrectly and took a reading at 212 it would read 1.030 but really at 60 it would be 1.072 now fast forward your next reading is at 70 degrees after fermentation has completed and you get a reading of 1.050 which is relatively correct. This would show two things #1 it supports the low attenuation stuck fermentation theory #2 that those are accurate readings you took but you used the hydrometer the wrong way. I think this I the only possible way your numbers could look the way they do.

^^^ thats the only way i can figure too... i dunno wtf is up with his hydrometer lol, possibly a refractometer?

the hydrometer has to be read at 60 to be a proper reading.

were those beginning and ending gravities taken pre and post boil? or are they before and after fermentation? One way it could make sense, the other seems un-possible.

Well I might have written the numbers backwards but that is the numbers, so just turn them around. I been making long enough that I know how to read a hydrometer.

there was a difference in temp. starting temp was 66 degrees and final temp was 74 degrees, didn't think it would make a difference

Latest posts

Back