American Pale Ale In The Pines West Coast Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeru

AnarchoFermentalist
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1056
Yeast Starter
nope
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Slight pine from the hops, almost a touch of grapefruit, but very subtle. Great mouth feel, slightly malty but not sweet by any means.
F912F225-1CE1-4F61-A9E7-EC0F4CC87B5D.jpeg
Hey everyone. This is a great autumn beer with a really nice pine flavour from the Chinook and Simcoe, along with a slight bit of grapefruit that's not overwhelming (like some IPAs can be) I had some friends by on the weekend and they went through over half the keg, so I'll be making another batch soon.

Grains:
47% 5 lbs 2-Row - US
28% 3 lbs Vienna Malt (Briess)
14% 1.5 lbs Rye Malt (Briess)
7% 0.75 lbs Caramel/Crystal 60
5% 0.5 lbs Carapils (Briess)

Hops
1 oz. Chinook (45 Min)
1 oz. Simcoe (30 Min)
.5 oz. Simcoe (20 Min)
.5 Simcoe (5 min)

Last edited:
Is this for a 5 gallon yield?

Yes it is. I would put mash/sparge water on there but each persons system is a bit different. I use a BBIAB method these days with a partial sparge, so my numbers would be different from most

What were the AA% of your hops, or the IBUs per addition?

The Chinook is 38-40ibu
The simcoe additions, respectively are:

I was thinking of doing a less bitter and more fragrant version, subbing the Chinook for another ounce of Simcoe for dry hopping. Since its on the higher end of the Myrcene oils it would kick up the woody and zesty notes, although maybe a little too much so.

Last edited:
This is a really really nice beer. I’ll def keep it on tap at all times. Thanks again.

Thanks! I've only recently started developing my own recipes rather than using ones I find on this site and elsewhere, so I'm glad you like it!

Awesome. I’m just about to brew this one again, but with more chinook than simcoe (since that’s what I have left in the freezer). Let me know how it turns out.

This beer looks good... I love a good rye beer. I will brew this up and let you know how it is.
I'll probably have to change the hips for what I have on hand, even though chinook and simcoe are my favorite hops, unless I make it to the lhbs. I think I have centennial, equinox, crystal, and pekko.

I was thinking of just keeping it a pale ale but swapping the hop schedule up - enough Chinook early to get around 40 IBU then dump the rest of the hops in at flameout!

I was thinking of just keeping it a pale ale but swapping the hop schedule up - enough Chinook early to get around 40 IBU then dump the rest of the hops in at flameout!

Cool. Let me know how it works out!

Update on this recipe for anyone interested:

I brewed a batch with 1oz spruce tips at 5min boil. It was nicely Piney when fresh, and as it sat it the keg it somehow got more and more piney. I can’t explain why since the spruce tips were in a hop bag and not left in the wort at all.

My only thought is that maybe the boil extracts resins that remain in the beer and over time get stronger. Or maybe they rise to the top of the beer so the end of the keg is more and more Piney.

Either way it was like drinking a forrest. In a good way.

Cool idea with the spruce tips! I did an IPL years ago where I wanted to emhasize pine notes and used the same hops as you did. Turned out great! Glad to hear you found a winner!

Cool idea with the spruce tips! I did an IPL years ago where I wanted to emhasize pine notes and used the same hops as you did. Turned out great! Glad to hear you found a winner!

This hop schedule seems to get a very good piney flavour on its own. The spicy notes of the rye definitely helps bring out the pine and spice of the hops, too.
The spruce tips just make it unmistakably pine or forrest flavoured. I picked about 10 ounces last summer that I've kept in the freezer just for this. Although it's about the right time of year right now to harvest some fresh ones. It seriously tastes just like how picking those spruce tips smelled.

I never even thought about doing rye! I love what saaz can bring to the table for dank, piney resiny type beers too...spicey is a cool flavor interaction with piney for sure!

I brew with rye about every 4-5 brews and try different things with it, mostly I play around with hops and yeast. I also like to add some flaked rye sometimes.
Just did a RyePA with whirlpool and dry hopped with cryo Citra and Simcoe and man, did that come out great! Can't always find cryo but the aroma on it was nice.

I brewed this one up with some modifications because I wanted to target a much much lower IBU and I had a bit more rye.

First time attempting a 2.5 gallon BIAB stove top batch. Also first time brewing with distilled water and modifying the ion concentration with salts:

I think I hit about 1.058 og and ended at about 1.012 og. IBU probably around 40-45ish. Two weeks in primary then bottled.

2.5# (44.4%) 2 row
1.5# (26.7%) Vienna malt
1# (17.8%) Rye malt
6oz (6.7%) Crystal 60
4oz (4.4%) Carapils

0.2 oz Chinook (45 min)
0.2 oz Simcoe (30 min)
0.1 oz Simcoe (20 min)
0.1 oz Simcoe (5 min)

Mineral targets
Ca: 140
Mg: 18
SO4: 300
Na: 25
Cl: 55
HCO3: 110

I brewed this one first week of October and after tasting for the second time last night it really blew me away. Goes great with a plate full of fried fish and french fries. Awesome head retention on this one too.

RyePaleAle.jpg

Back