In the doghouse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leghorn

Reaction score
My wife sat me down last night. She told me my frequent talk about all things beer was going too far. That very day, she walked into my 4 year daughter's bedroom where she was playing Polly-dolls. The dolls were arranged in a circle, and my daughter explained they were all drinking beer together.:tank:

Later that evening, during story-time, my daughter told my wife that Santa likes beer, and we should leave one out for him on Christmas Eve. (OK, I did encourage this one a little).

Apparently, I am the equivalent of Camel Joe in my household when it pertains to beer. I've been warned. No more excessive beer talk. She really wasn't that interested anyway, so I guess I need to find another outlet (like this forum).

Yeah, my wife is slightly concerned that my 2.75 year old has keg, mashtun, pale ale, beer, carboy, hops, malt, etc. in his vocabulary and knows what they are.

Plus he can identify beer colors. He likes discuss it with me.

"Da, beer is brown?"
"Da, beer is amber?"
"Da beer is golden, maybe?

:mug:

Your wife is taking the kid way too seriously. She's only four for crying out loud. Of course she's going to imitate you. Give the kid another five years- you'll WISH she paid that much attention to you.

Now if your daughter had arranged the dolls and explained that they were in the middle of sparging during a brew session, then your wife has maybe a toe to stand on.

Sounds like your daughter will grow up fine.

No kidding...what are you teaching her? Need to make sure she understands starch conversion before the dolls can drink.

Yuri_Rage said:
But Polly dolls and Santa DO like beer!
I can't speak for Polly, but Santa clearly does. I'm just gonna push the kegerator over by the fireplace, so he can help himself.

Santa_Beer.jpg

santa-beer.jpg

etbcm_santa1.jpg

Deciding what kids are exposed to can be a daunting task. For example i grew up around bows & arrows, guns, dirt bikes, go-carts, etc. My early knowledge and controlled training in these areas gave me respect for these dangerous things. As I got older I started meeting kids who had extremely sheltered childhoods, and never experienced anything dangerous so they didn't know how to handle it. I've seen idiots pointing real firearms at each other.... "Well, they aint loaded" they say. I've seen idiots pulling wheelies on 1000CC streetbikes on a crowded highway at 100mph wearing a t-shirt, shorts and a pair of sandels. I can go on and on and on. How about the kids whose parents told them to never ever have sex, not bothering to teach them about contraception. You know the ones, they're knocked up at age 16, so they drive to the next state to get an abortion in a storage space.....

Consider this: The one thing my parents never talked about or exposed me to was alcohol. My dad's family has a history of extreme alcoholism, so my parents almost never drank. When I was 13, my group of friends started throwing drinking parties. It was new, different, naughty, and exciting. We never got caught or caused any big trouble, but I wonder had I been exposed to alcohol in a controlled manner, would it have been such a big deal later on? guns, motorcycles, etc. were never that big a deal....... something to think about.

Yeah, I hear ya. My wife also complains sometimes about it. I have been brewing now for about 8 years. The early years (about up to 3-4) were worse than they are now. Now I get better at hiding when I'm blasted. My kids used to ask and join in a brew session, but now, quite the opposite of what Bernie Brewer said, they ignore me. You get used to it. Don't let your wife get to you (I ignore mine when it comes to brewing/beer) and it will all work out in the end. Your daughter will turn out fine; she won't talk about her dolls drinking beer much longer.

My four year old said that he wanted beer and pizza for dinner the other day, damn I love that kid :)

Of course, my kids favorite thing to do, thanks to their Mom, is to remind me when they see me with a beer that I am not allowed to drive a car now that I am drinkin'. There Mom trained them well on that one, not a bad thing though.

My 3.75 yo told the doctor when she asked him what he likes to drink...

"Pepsi"

"But I don't drink beer, I'll drink that later"

SWMBO was apalled.

I laffed my aZZ off...

Ize

avidhomebrewer said:
Yeah, I hear ya. My wife also complains sometimes about it. I have been brewing now for about 8 years. The early years (about up to 3-4) were worse than they are now. Now I get better at hiding when I'm blasted. My kids used to ask and join in a brew session, but now, quite the opposite of what Bernie Brewer said, they ignore me. You get used to it. Don't let your wife get to you (I ignore mine when it comes to brewing/beer) and it will all work out in the end. Your daughter will turn out fine; she won't talk about her dolls drinking beer much longer.

That's not the opposite of what I said; it is exactly what I said.........

The son of some friends of ours, back when he was in the second grade or so, was listening to a drug education program at school. The presenter asked "What makes you feel real good?" Their son sang out "A big ole drink of whiskey!" Caused a parent/teacher conference. :)

Came to mind while reading this thread.

Rick

Personally, I think better to expose your kids to things before someone else does. Maybe it's just me, but the people who were the wildest in college were all people who had been incredibly sheltered growing up. I say, better that they know about beer from someone who appreciates it rather than from someone who justs wants to guzzle the yellow fizz to get hammered.

:D
TheJadedDog said:
Personally, I think better to expose your kids to things before someone else does. Maybe it's just me, but the people who were the wildest in college were all people who had been incredibly sheltered growing up. I say, better that they know about beer from someone who appreciates it rather than from someone who justs wants to guzzle the yellow fizz to get hammered.

I coudn't agree more. When I was 16 I told my dad I wanted to go to a party w/ friends. He wanted to know why, so I just told him. "I want to drink some beer." Dad decided it would be a better idea if he went to the store, picked up some beer, and we would drink it together at home. He then proceeded to peer pressure me into drinking 5 out of 6 cans of Busch. I had a great time until I was barfing my guts out. Next thing I know, he walks into the bathroom, turns the light on and kicks me in the stomach, laughing his ass off. "So Bubba, ya still wanna go out and git drunk with your friends?" Not so much.

Talk about a valuable lesson:drunk: Now I pace myself and eat potato chips, and I can drink all night. :D Seriously though, having a good father prevented me from going somewhere away from home and getting into a bunch of trouble. Someday maybe I'll get to watch my kid barf up some Busch....(Sighs)

Had my first bottle of beer at 8, second at 19! Nothing like giving a kid a warm bottle of yellow fizz on a hot, muggy Illinois summer day. To this day 2-3 pints is my limit.

TJD's comment reminds me of "Mike the Mo" from my freshmen dorm. Son of a Baptist minister, alcoholic by mid-term, dealing drugs second term.

I allow my 17 year old (legal age is 18 here) to have his friends over and they all have drinks. Their parents have to be on board and they have to turn over their keys. As long as there are adults around for supervision and no one is driving, I'd rather have them at home than somewhere in the woods getting in trouble. I'm proud to say that it appears my son is one of the more responsible ones. No puking/hangovers with him.

Fingers said:
I allow my 17 year old (legal age is 18 here) to have his friends over and they all have drinks. Their parents have to be on board and they have to turn over their keys. As long as there are adults around for supervision and no one is driving, I'd rather have them at home than somewhere in the woods getting in trouble. I'm proud to say that it appears my son is one of the more responsible ones. No puking/hangovers with him.

That is how it was when I was young too. Much better to have a few drinks around adults than the alternative, drinking and driving.

It is unfortunate that attitudes have changed here in the states. Now that sort of activity is frowned upon.

Chris_Dog said:
That is how it was when I was young too. Much better to have a few drinks around adults than the alternative, drinking and driving.

It is unfortunate that attitudes have changed here in the states. Now that sort of activity is frowned upon.

BECAUSE IT'S ILLEGAL! I wonder how many counts they would hit you with contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

tuckferrorists said:
BECAUSE IT'S ILLEGAL! I wonder how many counts they would hit you with contributing to the delinquency of a minor.
But as has been mentioned above, we know how sheltering people from it turns out. Just because it's the law doesn't mean it makes sense, is correct or right in any way.

tuckferrorists said:

For the other kids, yes, it is Illegal, but not for his own kid. At least not where I am from. Here in Washington state, a minor can drink if in the presence of their parents. I let my brother in law start drinking before he was legal, at family gatherings, when his mom was there, and he not only learned to avoid nasty beer, he also learned to drink responsibly.

tuckferrorists said:

Didn't want to give the wrong impression...
The wouldn't charge me as I have never allowed my 18 year old son or his friends to drink around me.

Chris_Dog said:
Didn't want to give the wrong impression...
The wouldn't charge me as I have never allowed my 18 year old son or his friends to drink around me.

oh no no, not you. I'm sorry, I meant Fingers

Fingers said:

It just sounds like you're trying to be the "cool" parent rather than trying to be the responsible one. I had a friend in high school who's mom was trying to be that person and they would have parties at their house where her "friends would come over and they would all have drinks". Now it seems 7 years later that those people who used to go to those parties either never went to college or have dropped out and work at the shipyards. I think they became a little too adult too quickly and couldn't handle it. They were being told that it was OK to drink underage and if you don't think they'll exploit that then that's ignorance. I just can't see being allowed to drink alcohol in high school on a regular basis as being a good thing. I don't think you're helping your child or their friends.

Let me tell you a funny story:
About10 years ago I took my boys (now 16-15) to my local pizza joint for a pizza, well that night my favorite brewery was going to be there for a promo and I wanted to partake in the venture. Well we went and had a pizza and I had a couple of beers then was time to go and get the boys home and into bed.
The next day I came home and my Wife is raising holy Hell with me, the boys has got up early that morning and when she got up she found them at the kitchen table with Sweetwater bottles (full of water) pretending to critique what was in them, man did I get my ass in a bind. But since then I have let them have a taste or two, even going so far as to letting them have a glass at special occasions. They have grown to become complete EAC's and I believe that the curiosity that comes to most teenager will not be there with them.
My Dad was somewhat a beer snob and I believe that rubbed off on me and I am hoping that the same will happen to my Boys.

That said you can only give them the tools that you have learned and it's up to them to put them to good use....

Please remember that the conservative opinions we have about alcohol here in the US are not the same worldwide. Canadians are a lot more liberal on many issues.

tuckferrorists said:
It just sounds like you're trying to be the "cool" parent rather than trying to be the responsible one. I had a friend in high school who's mom was trying to be that person and they would have parties at their house where her "friends would come over and they would all have drinks". Now it seems 7 years later that those people who used to go to those parties either never went to college or have dropped out and work at the shipyards. I think they became a little too adult too quickly and couldn't handle it. They were being told that it was OK to drink underage and if you don't think they'll exploit that then that's ignorance. I just can't see being allowed to drink alcohol in high school on a regular basis as being a good thing. I don't think you're helping your child or their friends.

I'm not so sure about that. There is such a thing as responsible parents who let their own children consume alcohol in a controlled manner. For example, a Dad who lets his young, curious child take a sip of his beer will usually find that the kid spits it out and vows to never drink beer again.

I'd much rather train a child to respect and understand alcohol. But then again I don't think I'd ever host a party where teenagers were allowed to get drunk. Allowing your own child to consume alcohol in a controlled environment and respectful manner: responsible. Hosting teenage drunk parties: irresponsible.

My 2 cents.

Chris_Dog said:
Please remember that the conservative opinions we have about alcohol here in the US are not the same worldwide. Canadians are a lot more liberal on many issues.

I agree but it's still illegal. And you know that if something is illegal until a certain age, it's a psychological thing to a teenager. They are tempted because it's something they aren't supposed to do and they'll want to exploit it if they're given an environment where it's ok to break the law.

I don't feel strongly enough about this either way to get in a debate about it.

In reality parents are going to raise kids how they see fit. Right or wrong, legal or illegal.

brett said:
I'm not so sure about that. There is such a thing as responsible parents who let their own children consume alcohol in a controlled manner. For example, a Dad who lets his young, curious child take a sip of his beer will usually find that the kid spits it out and vows to never drink beer again.

I'd much rather train a child to respect and understand alcohol. But then again I don't think I'd ever host a party where teenagers were allowed to get drunk. Allowing your own child to consume alcohol in a controlled environment and respectful manner: responsible. Hosting teenage drunk parties: irresponsible.

My 2 cents.

I don't think Finger was talking about his child just having a sip when they're handing over keys and his child is the responsible one when he's not puking.

rabidgerbil said:
For the other kids, yes, it is Illegal, but not for his own kid. At least not where I am from. Here in Washington state, a minor can drink if in the presence of their parents. I let my brother in law start drinking before he was legal, at family gatherings, when his mom was there, and he not only learned to avoid nasty beer, he also learned to drink responsibly.

You need to check on your laws, because I'm a bartender here in Louisiana and have been for 5 years. Louisiana is a state that is pretty liberal when it comes to drinking laws. This state held out for a few years when the national government made the states change the drinking age to 21.

Anyway, a parent can buy a drink for their child if the child is 18 or older. I just recently had to renew my liquor license, so I can verify this.

tuckferrorists

All alcohol laws in the US are based on religious reasons. Called Blue laws.

As for Europe where "minors" are allowed to drink- There is a much lower percentage of alcoholism.

Not saying its ok to give kids booze- My nefews who are 16 love to try the stuff I make. They only get enough to taste. But they already know the difference in crap and quality.

tuckferrorists said:
You need to check on your laws, because I'm a bartender here in Louisiana and have been for 5 years. Louisiana is a state that is pretty liberal when it comes to drinking laws. This state held out for a few years when the national government made the states change the drinking age to 21.

Anyway, a parent can buy a drink for their child if the child is 18 or older. I just recently had to renew my liquor license, so I can verify this.

RCW 66.44.270, Section 3 details that "...liquor given or permitted to be given to a person under the age of twenty-one years by a parent or guardian and consumed in the presence of the parent or guardian..." is not regulated by Washington state law.

Blue laws are understood as not being able to buy alcohol during a certain time i.e. on sundays, not that you have to be 21 to buy.

brett said:
RCW 66.44.270, Section 3 details that "...liquor given or permitted to be given to a person under the age of twenty-one years by a parent or guardian and consumed in the presence of the parent or guardian..." is not regulated by Washington state law.

cool cool, i'm surprised there isn't any restriction on specifics. Based on the law, you could legaly give it to a 1 year old.

Blue laws are understood as not being able to buy alcohol
Not to pick a nit (or, actually, I guess it is) but blue laws are not just about alcohol. Lived where someone was arrested for selling pantyhose on Sunday (1978ish). That particular arrest was not for religious reasons (though the law's origin was) but was carried out during a struggle to keep Walmart closed on Sunday.

Rick

Back