In need of bottling advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golfman1450

Reaction score
Hey all, I will be bottling a batch of Coopers Pilsener this weekend and need a little advice. I am going to go straight from the primary to the bottle and need to know how much priming sugar to use per 1 liter bottle. This is my second batch of home brew and learning new new things everyday. Any and all advice is more than welcome.

Here's to the beer!

If you're going to be putting sugar into each 1 liter bottle, you'll need 2.5 teaspoons of sugar per bottle.

It's easier to prime the entire batch at once and then bottle, as opposed to priming each bottle individually.

gray7103 said:
It's easier to prime the entire batch at once and then bottle, as opposed to priming each bottle individually.

Seconded. If you can, use a bottling bucket and prime the whole batch at once.

Thirded. My one and only bottle bomb was from trying that method. Whenever I prime and bottle these days it always goes into a bottling bucket first.

And another advantage of going to bottling bucket first is that you can keep most of the gunk that is on the bottom of the bucket out of your beer a lot more easily.

If you're going to be putting sugar into each 1 liter bottle, you'll need 2.5 teaspoons of sugar per bottle.

2.5 tsp of sugar in a 12oz bottle is way to much. Between .5 & 1tsp is plenty for an average gravity brew. But harder to maintain consistent carbing from bottle to bottle. I swithced from all that to bulk priming with a bottling bucket I made for about $12. Bulk priming to style with the calculator at tastybrew.com

I would say go to a secondary for at least a week and let it settle out some more. Those favors will meld quicker in a week as a whole then in a bottle. I know lots of guys go straight to bottle but you have much less trub in the bottle if you are pacitent and let is rest and a better finnished flavor.

Keg
Bourbon barrel aged Black Imperial IPA
Dark Saison
German Rye
Apple wood Smoked IPA
Robust Porter

Primary
Coffee Stout
Irish Red
Wheat
Choc. Hazelnut Porter
Berry wine

Secondary
Blackberry Cobbler Ale
15gal of Barrel aged Black Imperial IPA

Ratfink559 said:
Goin from primary to bottles or a bottling bucket ?

It's a Coopers DIY that came with a single fermenter. I will eventually move to a secondary, but this time I will be conditioning in the bottle.

Golfman1450 said:
Hey all, I will be bottling a batch of Coopers Pilsener this weekend and need a little advice. I am going to go straight from the primary to the bottle and need to know how much priming sugar to use per 1 liter bottle. This is my second batch of home brew and learning new new things everyday. Any and all advice is more than welcome.

Here's to the beer!

I'm seeing a general consensus on racking to a bottling bucket. Advice is always good and appreciated when starting something new. Not sure if I mentioned or not, but my kit is a Coopers which only came with a single fermenter. I am going to rack straight to the bottle for a bit and will try other ways a little later down the road. Thanks again and I'm looking forward to following the info on this forum.

Here's to the beer!

unionrdr said:
2.5 tsp of sugar in a 12oz bottle is way to much. Between .5 & 1tsp is plenty for an average gravity brew. But harder to maintain consistent carbing from bottle to bottle. I swithced from all that to bulk priming with a bottling bucket I made for about $12. Bulk priming to style with the calculator at tastybrew.com

I will be using 1 liter flip tops.

You don't need to do a secondary. Most of us here leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks or longer to give the yeasts time to clean up after themselves. It's a good idea to get a bottling bucket tho. I started off with a Cooper's kit and the first thing I bought right away is a bottling bucket.

The Coopers kit came with priming tablets. Did you use yours up already?

A4J said:
You don't need to do a secondary. Most of us here leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks or longer to give the yeasts time to clean up after themselves. It's a good idea to get a bottling bucket tho. I started off with a Cooper's kit and the first thing I bought right away is a bottling bucket.

The Coopers kit came with priming tablets. Did you use yours up already?

Used them on the first batch of lager about a week ago. I'm really looking forward to trying it. This patience thing sucks!

toast said:

Is there some kind of table out there to help convert these things? Thanks for the numbers.

Is there some kind of table out there to help convert these things? Thanks for the numbers.

I found a priming sugar to bottle size conversion chart online a while back when I used to do it that way...and I had used 32oz bottles and remember the given measurement. Don't remember the website though. :eek:

Leave your beer on the gunk and go get a second bucket. Bulk prime, less sediment in the bottles. Your beer will thank you for it.

Back