In need of a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake-k

want another? Yip
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So on my last order of supplies I ordered a Belgian strong ale yeast. I haven't used this so I can't figure out why I ordered it.

I also just came into 2 pounds of spun honey a local gave me from one of our hay/grain fields, I would like to incorporate into a brew.

Question is I need a recipe for a Belgian strong or something similar I can use both yeast and honey in.

Any and all help is appreciated.

This is kinda like what I'm looking at,
12.5 # pilsner
1.5 # Munich
1.5 # candid sugar

2 oz hallertau
1/2 oz goldings
1 oz saaz

However I would use the honey in place of candi syrup and would like to not use as much pilsner. Maybe pale malt and Vienna for some of the pilsner.

I mostly prefer adding some basil leaves for extra adding bitterness. This is called pasteurization method of adding honey and basil leaves Like this you can try Beer Cabinet Bee Brew.

My belgian tripel is a huge hit and very simple.

13lb 00oz Pilsner
00lb 12oz Aromatic Malt
01lb 00oz Candi Syrup.

~35IBU (hops vary)
If you are minimizing the pilsner used, maybe something like this.

07lb 00oz Pilsner
03lb 00oz Vienna
01lb 08oz Munich
00lb 12oz Aromatic

Mash in at 150. ~35IBU

01lb 08oz Honey.

I would add the honey about day 3 of the fermentation. This will help dry out the beer a bit and make sure most of the malt gets fermented. Just a few thoughts.

Thanks for the info. I will work with that recipe a bit as I only have 6 # pilsner . I don't care much about staying true to style so I'm digging the basil honey addition into primary.

Here is what I've come up with
6# pilsner
3# Vienna
3# pale 2-row
1.5# Munich 10L

Mash at 150 60 min

2oz hallertauer 60
1oz saaz 30

Irish moss

2L starter with 1388

Three days into fermentation add 1.5 # honey and 1oz fresh basil pasteurized

Beer smith gives me these numbers
1.081 og
1.013 fg
37.5 ibu
6.1 srm

I think this may turn into a pretty tasty brew. It will be a few weeks before I can brew it but will update with results.

I brewed this up today with a few changes. Not sure which style this would qualify as :confused:

Beer Smith
OG 1.082
IBU 32
SRM 7.8

8.5#pale 2-row
3.25# pilsner (all I had)
2# Munich light
1#vienna
.25# c-60
2oz special B
2oz carapils

1.5# local spun honey 10 min

2oz saaz 60
1oz hallertaur 30

I mashed this at 153 @ 60min 4.75 gallon
Batch sparged 170 @ 10min 4.5 gallon
2nd sparge 170 @ 10min 3 gallon (see notes below)*

Pitched 1.5L starter of wyeast 1388

First beer ended up with 1.082 OG YEAH hit it right on the money from what I was expecting!! Right at 5.25 gallons in fermenter.

*I pulled a little over a quart from first running and 2 quarts from second running and all of the third running for a parti-gyle brew.
Added .5# local spun honey
.75oz tettnanger @ 60 min
Ended right at 3 gallons in the fermenter.
OG 1.051
IBU around 20
SRM ? lighter than main brew
Pitched packet s-05. *

Plan on fermenting both of these around 65 degrees

This was a great brew day. The timing, volumes, temps and everything else went without a hitch!! :mug:

S05? You'll end up closer to British barleywine. Looks good overall, though.

S-05 was used on the three gallon 1.051 batch.
Belgian strong 1388 was used on the big beer 1.082.

Back