In a situation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlomo

Reaction score
So, i've brewed 2 batches so far. I converted over my chest freezer with an STC 1000. My situation is that i have my 2 brews in my 7cu ft freezer fermenting. I want to brew today, but i wont have room in the fermenter for the latest brew. My first brew has about 5 days left before i keg it, but if i keg it now, i can fit it in the fermenter with my 2 fermenting brews. Should i keg it now?

Also, since i'll have a brew done soon and ready for the fridge, i'll have to adjust my temp down below fermentation temps. Anything easy i can do to keep fermentation temps for my other two brews? My apartment is usually about 70 deg.

I float my fermenters in the bathtub full of water. The large thermal mass prevents temperature swings and I just float an ice bottle or two to keep the water around 65 degrees.

So, i've brewed 2 batches so far. I converted over my chest freezer with an STC 1000. My situation is that i have my 2 brews in my 7cu ft freezer fermenting. I want to brew today, but i wont have room in the fermenter for the latest brew. My first brew has about 5 days left before i keg it, but if i keg it now, i can fit it in the fermenter with my 2 fermenting brews. Should i keg it now?

Also, since i'll have a brew done soon and ready for the fridge, i'll have to adjust my temp down below fermentation temps. Anything easy i can do to keep fermentation temps for my other two brews? My apartment is usually about 70 deg.

Take out the beer that's close to kegging. Temperature control is crucial at the beginning of the fermentation phase, but after the krausen has fallen it's not nearly as crucial.

The almost finished beer should be fine at 70. I typically raise the fermenting temp to 70 for the last week of fermentation anyways. If you need the bucket/carboy for the new beer, rack the almost finished beer to a keg and purge with co2, seal the lid and stash in a closet until you are ready to chill and carbonate.

If your beer is done fermenting, you can take it out and leave it at room temp until you keg.

How long has it been since you made the first batch??

First batch was brewed 2 weeks ago. Racked to secondary at 1 week to make room for the second batch. I bought another 6gal better bottle for another primary but i cant fit 2 better bottles and a bucket in my fridge.

Anyone know of very small portable ac units or coolers? I have an extra closet in my apartment im thinking of trying to get to 60deg or so for fermentation. Anyone done this?

Cheers

You won't KNOW it's ready for keg without pulling a SG/taste sample. Get the SG, make sure it's the FG (second sample in 3-4 days) and taste both. IF there are no off flavors and it's at a stable gravity, it's probably safe to keg. If you're not going to put the keg on tap right away, then you could also leave it at cooler temps (what's the coolest area in your place?) for another couple of weeks.

You won't KNOW it's ready for keg without pulling a SG/taste sample. Get the SG, make sure it's the FG (second sample in 3-4 days) and taste both. IF there are no off flavors and it's at a stable gravity, it's probably safe to keg. If you're not going to put the keg on tap right away, then you could also leave it at cooler temps (what's the coolest area in your place?) for another couple of weeks.

I haven't done any of that in over two years.

I just pulled another sample. It was at an OG of 1.042 and a SG of 1.010 1 week later. I just took another SG and it was still 1.010, 1 week since my last so it is at FG. It tastes amazing (to me of course) no off flavors, tastes etc. I racked it to my keg and started it at 14 psi going down to 40f so i'll check up on it tomorrow and probably force carb it a bit because im not very good at waiting, especially since its my first brew ever.

Thanks for everyones help!

BTW, I haven't done it since somewhere around between batch 20 and 25. Batch 41 is coming up next weekend. :rockin: Looks like I'll be at about 90 gallons of finished beer for this year. Plus a few more gallons of 'other things'. :D

Back