In a pinch will cherry vodka still sanatize

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Water would be fine too. Think cherry vodka would be fine too.
EDIT. NO. I thought you meant in your airlock for some reason.

I doubt cherry vodka would sanitize. It's only 30-40% alcohol and is very sugary so you'd have a huge mess. Look up threads about using very low concentrations of bleach.

Yea I just went to the store and bought a few big bottles of junk vodka

ethanol (vodka) and isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) sanitize best at 60 to 70 percent (120 to to 140 proof). Too strong a concentration like the 90 percent rubbing alcohol well evaporate too quickly. Concentrations less than 60 percent are too weak to do much.

So the short answer to your question is no. I agree, a correctly diluted bleach bleach solution is an effective no rinse sanitize that will leave no off taste. Just be sure to dilute it correctly.

How much bleach like ounce per gallon?

John Palmer recommends "1 tablespoon of bleach to 1 gallon of water (4 ml per liter)"

see http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter2-2-3.html

You don't have to rinse at this concentration, supposedly, but like others I would be tempted to rinse. IF you do rinse, USE BOILED WATER. Tap water is not sterile or necessarily sanitary for that matter.. it's sanitary enough to not get you sick but more than likely is not sanitary enough to not get your beer sick... wait that's a double negative. What I mean is unboiled tap water could give your beer an infection so if you choose to rinse after sanitizing with the no rinse bleach sanitizer then use water that has been boiled or else you are defeating the purpose of sanitizing in the first place.

Edited to add: John Palmer recommends a 20 minute soak in this bleach solution.. so a quick dip evidently won't do it.. nor will a spray bottle.

Back