Improved method of reusing yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

San Jose State University

Reaction score
I've read about reusing yeast by carefully harvesting it and placing it in a bottle in a fridge until your next batch.

Wouldn't it be easier to make double the starter solution and then put half in the wort for a batch and the other half in a bottle for storing in the fridge? Then pull it out of the bottle and do it all over again?

Yes, i guess it would be easier. But you can really do either/or. Actually, last night was my first experience of washing yeast. The consistency of my trub/yeast/water mixture in the fridge was like milk shake. Needless to say, after 4 hours it didn't really seperate. I'm trying again tomorrow. Although my poor yeasties will be asleep.

efreem01 said:
Yes, i guess it would be easier. But you can really do either/or. Actually, last night was my first experience of washing yeast. The consistency of my trub/yeast/water mixture in the fridge was like milk shake. Needless to say, after 4 hours it didn't really seperate. I'm trying again tomorrow. Although my poor yeasties will be asleep.

Hmm... maybe I should post it in the non-beginner section so that the pros can get an opinion, too.

I've read about reusing yeast by carefully harvesting it and placing it in a bottle in a fridge until your next batch.

Wouldn't it be easier to make double the starter solution and then put half in the wort for a batch and the other half in a bottle for storing in the fridge? Then pull it out of the bottle and do it all over again?

This would also reduce risk of contamination and reduce the rate of mutations from 1st-nth generation yeast.

TheJadedDog said:
Yes, you can make a starter and only pitch half, however, yeast washing will give you more yeast and the yeast will be viable for a longer period.

Hmm... I agree that it would give you more yeast. However, when you first get your yeast you only get a small amount and after a making a yeast starter it works great (most of the time).

Why would you need more yeast than that? Unless you're using it on more than one batch at a time....

Also, out of curiosity, how would the yeast be viable for a longer time?

My inclination is that if you use the yeast within about two weeks after you stored it--using my proposed method--it should be fine if stored properly. I don't see much of a need, for my personal use, for it to be viable for much longer.

Can we agree that when only using one to two batches at a time, my method would work better/easier as long as you don't have to store the yeast for too long?

San Jose State University said:
Hmm... I agree that it would give you more yeast. However, when you first get your yeast you only get a small amount and after a making a yeast starter it works great (most of the time).

Why would you need more yeast than that? Unless you're using it on more than one batch at a time....

Also, out of curiosity, how would the yeast be viable for a longer time?

My inclination is that if you use the yeast within about two weeks after you stored it--using my proposed method--it should be fine if stored properly. I don't see much of a need, for my personal use, for it to be viable for much longer.

Can we agree that when only using one to two batches at a time, my method would work better/easier as long as you don't have to store the yeast for too long?

Yes, we can agree that if you are only making a batch every other week or so and you are always using the same yeast strain, your proposed method is easier than washing yeast.

However, by washing the yeast you can harvest it for future batches that are more than a few weeks away, you can have more yeast to pitch (which is always preferable as it reduces lag time and results in more vigorous ferments), and you can make your initial vial of yeast last much longer, saving money in the long run.

I'm not saying your method wouldn't work, I'm just throwing it out there.

TheJadedDog said:
Yes, we can agree that if you are only making a batch every other week or so and you are always using the same yeast strain, your proposed method is easier than washing yeast.

However, by washing the yeast you can harvest it for future batches that are more than a few weeks away, you can have more yeast to pitch (which is always preferable as it reduces lag time and results in more vigorous ferments), and you can make your initial vial of yeast last much longer, saving money in the long run.

I'm not saying your method wouldn't work, I'm just throwing it out there.

Yep, I'm still a beginner so I'm not quite at the point at where I'm switching my yeast every other batch. Also, I'm deadly afraid of infecting my yeast, and that my yeast will mutate after just three to ten generations--as I've read happens.

Back