Improperly pitched yeast in cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ondovcs1

Reaction score
I know there are a good amount of threads on cider, but this is a little different. I pitched my yeast 4 days ago into a cider that my friends and I had made. I prepped the dry yeast and put it in. A few days later, and I still have zero kraussen. I have it sitting next to another carboy with an oatmeal stout with tons of kraussen, brewed the same day.

So, did I do something wrong? If so, what can I do to fix it?

Thanks guys

What kind of cider, and juice, and what kind of yeast?

If you used clarified apple juice and champagne yeast, you won't get a krausen. There are few of the same proteins or lipids you get in beer wort in there - it's a whole different ballgame. Same with the yeast, too - it will act very differently. If you use a champagne yeast and ferment in glass, the yeast will fizz and bubble slowly, with barely any matter floating up to the surface. The clarity of the juice as fermentation slows down is impressive.

If you're comparing it to an oatmeal stout, you're basically looking at different ends of the spectrum - one is a juice with very little extraneous matter left in it, and the other is a thick wort with TONS of lipids, proteins, and other particulates, from the barley, the oatmeal, and hop matter.

Ahhhhh, okay that makes more sense. I actually did exactly what you described, apple juice, champagne yeast....

How will I know when to move it to secondary?

Back