Impressions of Omega's DKO Series?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,
Looking at making my first Kölsch and caught sight of Omega's DKO (Diacetyl Knock Out) series. How are these being received? Any noticeable flavor or behavioral differences that a homebrewer should be aware of? Thanks!

I don’t think these strains are in the homebrew packs yet, right?
I’m using aldc anyway since I had some dry hop D issues

I don’t think these strains are in the homebrew packs yet, right?
I’m using aldc anyway since I had some dry hop D issues
I saw a video by Northern Brewer on these strains. I think NB is the exclusive dealer of these strains in homebrew packs, at least for now. They are selling for $14 per pack, which seems to be the same as stuff like the Thiol yeast strains and $1 more than the standard Omega strains.

I saw a video by Northern Brewer on these strains. I think NB is the exclusive dealer of these strains in homebrew packs, at least for now. They are selling for $14 per pack, which seems to be the same as stuff like the Thiol yeast strains and $1 more than the standard Omega strains.
Makes sense that i didn’t realize. I actually got a bad taste in my mouth from Northern Brewer. Really, I hate the company. I buy AB products so it’s not some AB thing. Northern brewer just sucks and you can’t call them to ask a question about something you purchased.

Anyway it’s cool that the DKOs are available to homebrewers.

I'll chime in here. I'm currently using Omega German Lager 1 DKO. After getting a tad familiar with WLP830 and W34/70 I have to say this is the best variant of the strain. It's just clean throughout the full fermentation and I find it a good bit crisper in my home brewery than the other variants. Now I have not used ALDC enzyme with the other versions, but, I have some on hand and intend on messing around with it to see how the results compare. I will say that the DKO version is flat out cleaner when fermented low compared to the other two strains. When I tried fermenting anywhere between 50f-55f I always got a weird acetylaldehyde/sulfuric twang that I don't get when fermenting the same strains 60F and warmer. This strain also repitches well which is not something I can say for W34/70 in dried form. I've also run into inconsistent results with the dry form of the strain. WLP830 also repitches very well.

Another difference I noticed is that the new screw top pack of WLP830, pitched into a 2L 1.040 starter on the stir plate, takes off fast from the initial pitch. I had activity in fermenter in less than 5 hours. The Omega German Lager 1 DKO variant is a touch slower on the initial pitch. However, with a repitch it stacks up admirably with the WLP830 lag time. Both variants ferment extremely well under pressure. My schedule so far has been to set the spunding valve to 15psi 54F for the first 24 hours, let the pressure build naturally, then step up 4F every 24 hours until the temp hits 66F and just let it ride. With this setup I'm typically cold crashing by day 6-7 and packaging in less than 2 weeks from the initial pitch. The Omega DKO strain did take 9 days on the initial pitch to complete fermentation but now it's right up there with WLP830 in being done at 6-7 days.

I initially was a bit standoffish on using this strain due to yeast companies pushing novelty strains. This one actually stacks right up to it's marketing. Omega did a great job developing this strain!

Last edited:
Back