Imperial Stout Stuck Fermentation at 1.040 safe to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxyaardvark

Reaction score
I brewed Northern Brewer's Imperial Stout recipe about 11 months ago and have struggled to get the final gravity below 1.040. The initial gravity was around 1.086. Recipe contained 12lbs of Dark Malt Syrup, 0.5 lbs of English Roasted Barley, 0.5 lbs of English Black Malt, and 0.5 lbs of Chocolate Malt.

I initially pitched one packet of Safale S-04 Dry Yeast with no starter. The fermentation got down to about 1.045 after about a month. It didn't move from that point on, so I pitched more Safale S-04 dry yeast with re-hydration and a starter this time. I didn't seem to see any results. I attempted a month ago to use Montrachet dry wine yeast to bring down the final gravity more. I just measured the final gravity and it is sitting at 1.040. I did see some active fermentation when I pitched the starter this time that lasted about 4 days.

I am wondering if this beer is safe to bottle and carbonate from this point on or if I am asking for bottle bombs. Should I attempt a more drastic solution to lower the final gravity more or carbonate in bottles?

I'm guessing that because I used so much Dark Malt Extract, I was left with many unfermentable maltose and maltotriose sugars. Is it possible to get this final gravity down any more? The beer tastes good when sampling from my gravity reading beaker for what it's worth. Thoughts?

I'd go for it. Initially you should have pitched two packs of S-04. But after adding the wine yeast, I think you've gotten what there is to get from this one. I'd prime and bottle.

I've seen some threads on adding enzymes (Beano, I believe) to make more fermentable sugars, but I've never done it. You can search more about that if you're really interested.

Back