Imperial stout...need help with timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SasquatchSmith

Reaction score
I've got an all grain Imperial Stout that has been in primary for the past 10 days, and i've got a couple questions. My 2 or 3 attempts at stouts in the past have been below average but this one tasted great after 7 days of fermenting so I want to make sure I don't screw it up.

1. I have some heavy toast oak chips that I plan to soak in a small amount of nice bourbon and add in a muslin bag...how long should I soak the chips for, and how long should I leave the soaked chips in the bucket for?

2. How long should I let the thing go overall before I bottle? It should come in around 10% ABV. I was thinking I'd give it about 2 months...would that suffice or would it benefit from longer?

:fro:

Thanks in advance!

1. chips impart their flavor pretty quickly, should only need a week or so to extract. I'd start soaking them now and add when you're getting close to bottling time so you can make sure it's a level you are happy with and then can just rack to bottling bucket and move on or give a few more days til it is.

2. 2 months sounds great

put the chips in for a week, taste, and leave in for another if not oak'y enough.

2 months in primary is probably fine. i've never gone any longer than that.

Thanks! I started soaking the chips in Devil's Cut a few days ago so i'll leave them until a week or so before planned bottling date

Latest posts

Back