Imperial Stout Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajm5006

Reaction score
This is only my second batch. Its an extract kit from my lhbs. It has an og of 1.080 and I'm using safale s-33. The temp is about 72f and the area is dark. I missed the estimated og by .010 (was supposed to be 1.090). The only troubles I had during brewing was that I struggled to maintain my mash temps and also had issues straining out all the sediment when trying to put the wort into my primary fermenter and had to redo straining it, but in turn aerated very well. I'm concerned because I brewed on Sunday and woke up yesterday to a very aggressive fermentation (I'm using a blow off and it sounded like I had a fish tank in my kitchen all day), however today I had no signs of fermentation all day. There is still pressure in the bucket because when I press on the lid I get bubbles, just none as is. I'm worried I introduced bacteria during my straining fiasco, would this create rapid fermentation like I described? Is my temp. to hot? Am I overreacting? I'm just worried I screwed this up because the kit wasn't cheap! Thanks in advance!

First of all if you do an extract kit it's really hard NOT to hit the SG stated w/the kit. You most likely didn't mix the top off water as well as you think so don't worry bout that.
Second as long as your strainer was sanatized then not to worry again.
Third lack of bubbles means little. Just let it sit at least 3 weeks and then check the FG at least twice a day or two apart. No change and you are done.
Fourth yes 72 is to hot as the fermentation process also produces heat and your wort is probably in the high 70's. Can't do anything about that now but would be good to get it down to the mid 60's. Get a large plactic muck bucket, put your fermenter in it and add water to the bucket. Then twice a day add ice to the water. I keep 1/2 gallon bottles of ice in my freezer and use them to cool the wort.

You may get some off flavors from the high temp, but you will still have a drinkable product. Live and learn is the name of the game.

Back