Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMarkMadison

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a new to brewing, and after brewing a couple of styles from kits, found a recipe for an Imperial IPA and gave it a go. I won't post the whole recipe, but the grains/sugars look like this:

Grains/Extracts/Sugars
15.85 pounds
2 Row Base
37ppg, 1.5°L 12.1 pounds 76.3%
CaraVienne
35ppg, 20°L 0.8 pounds 5.0%
Maris Otter
38ppg, 4°L 0.8 pounds 5.0%
Carastan (Dark)
28ppg, 35°L 0.8 pounds 5.0%
Dry Sugar - Corn
42ppg, °L 0.75 pounds 4.7%
CaraPils
33ppg, 1.5°L 0.6 pounds 3.8%

The recipe also called for a crapload of hops of many types, which I added during a 90 minute boil. I pitched 3 vials of WL California Ale (WL001??), because I have not done a starter, yet and this is what the recipe stated.

However, like an idiot, I assumed the Corn Sugar was for bottling and put it aside (seemed like an awful lot of sugar for bottling, I know).

Question: Since I did not add the Corn Sugar (was supposed to be added to the boil), is this beer ruined?

Thanks...

David

No, it won't be ruined. It just won't finish quite as dry and there will be slightly more residual sweetness in the finished product. Dextrose is added to IPA/IIPA recipes because the yeast metabolize it first and since it's completely fermentable, the end result is a drier finished beer. Your final gravity will just be a couple of points higher. Not even close to being something to worry about.

You can add it now. Heat it in just enough water to dissolve and pour it into the fermenter.

Thanks for the replies and info. As for adding it now, just to be clear, I made this last night, and pitched the yeast about 20 hours ago. It is still bubbling pretty actively, so, still OK to add the sugar now?

Yes. It's a common technique to add simple sugars part way through fermentation on big beers.

I guess I assumed that you were farther out from pitch time than that. Yes I would add the sugar at this point as chicky says.

I would highly recommend learning to make starters. I paid 20 bucks for a 2L flask and stir plate parts. You would have seen an ROI after this batch alone. I make good money but don't think I could bring myself to throw 20 bucks in yeast in!

Back