Imperial IPA Variant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustybrew

Reaction score
Well I'm in the middle of what started as an Imperial IPA, but I decided to use some different ingredients (so that makes it a Rebellion IPA... That's right, a Star Wars reference).

Thought I'd post the recipe and get your opinions and ideas. Here we go:

6lbs Light DME
2lbs Amber DME
1lbs Crystal 60L

60 mins - 1.5oz Cascade 5.6AA
40 mins - 1.0oz Willamette 3.9AA
25 mins - 1.0oz Saaz 3.6AA
10 mins - 1.0oz Willamette 3.9AA
5 mins - 1.0oz Saaz 3.6AA
5 mins - 0.5 Cascade 5.6AA

UPDATE: (Forgot to mention) White Labs English Ale Yeast

Just survived a boil over, now everything is going well (LOL). Anyway let me know what you think, I'll post back when I've tasted!

UPDATE: After talking to some other Las Vegas Brewers, we concluded that UPS more than likely killed my yeasties. I didn't want to wait 72hrs to find out for sure so I re-pitched and within a few hours (fairly violent) fermentation began. So to be short and sweet, I'm happy again! Let me know any thoughts you all have on my recipe!

Ok, I was a little distraught after brewing. Things didn't go the way I had planned but I checked the OG and it came in at 1.090 so that should be good (4.5Gal). In a moment of pure idiocy I decided to steep my Crystal in a separate pot (again... idiocy) and then add that to my brew pot. Well this coupled with all the DME gave me a lot of stuff in the pot. So much that when the hot break popped I couldn't react fast enough and had a boil over.

I am still weary of infection because I had the primary bucket opened for a long time while I worked out how I was going to clean the stove and brew at the same time. Then I may have pitched the yeast at too high of a temp.

But on the bright side, I do see the beginnings of fermentation in the airlock already so hopefully that helps fight infection. We shall see!

All is well with this brew! I just checked the SG after about a week in the primary, and it's down to ~1.022 from 1.090. If my calculations are correct with temp correction that should drop me in the low 9% ABV range (anyone want to check my math?).

I tasted it and it has very strong and interesting flavor. I don't think I'm going to transfer to a secondary, just give it two more weeks in the primary. After all the trouble I had with this one I'm excited it's turning out well!

Well...
I kegged this brew, had too much sediment, clogged the draw tube, siphoned out into a bucked, re-racked into keg, tapped it, and then...

It was terrible. I've got an off flavor I can't really identify. I am assuming my apartment may have been too warm during fermentation. It just has a rubbing alcohol bite to it at the end. I'm going to have to dump the whole batch.

Very depressing.

I wouldnt dump a big beer like that within a month of making it. Give it some more time to mellow out and with any luck the off flavors will be less apparent and it will be drinkable.

I've definitely had a batch or two that I thought was undrinkable but after saving it they turned out alright.

That alcohol bite will fade within a few weeks, have had that happen and it turned out to be a great beer. You seem to be a bit on the impatient side. And you gave up on the yeast after too short a time. You need to chill out and let the beer do its thing.

Back