Imperial Chocolate Stout US-05 Antenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omokoro

Reaction score
I just took a hydrometer reading, and am currently drink my sample of an imperial stout, brewed last Saturday, which had an original gravity of 1.110. Today the gravity is 1.030. Beersmith estimated the final gravity of at 1.026. It has been fermenting at around 68 degrees. My question is should I expect any more attenuation? If not, should I take steps to help lower the final gravity (e.g. add more yeast or sugar)?

Thanks for the quick response. My original plan was to primary for 2 weeks then cold crash it for another week. But I worry that there won't be enough healthy yeast still in suspension if I cold crash. So I will probably just let it sit.

Unless there is a real need to get it bottled/kegged, I'd let it ride in the fermenter for at least 4 weeks, maybe 8+. A 1.110 gravity is high, and it can take a long time for the yeast to finish off the final few points.

That's pretty good attenuation for 1.110 starting gravity stout?

Adding more yeast at bottling would help speed up conditioning, but you could probably get away without doing so.

Yeah that puts you right at about 77% apparent attenuation which is pretty high depending on your yeast. Which one did you use?

You are probably pretty close to finished. Since an Imperial Stout benefits from long aging, I would ignore it for at least another week or 2 and see what happens...

The only thing I would suggest, aside from waiting longer, is to bring the temp up to around 70° and swirl gently to re-suspend the yeast. If that doesn't coax the last couple points off, you're likely finished. But as said, 1.03 doesn't seem like a bad number to be stting on, given it's come all the way down from 1.11.

Back