Imperial California Common

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Because why not? Here is the recipe for a 2.5-gallon batch:

7 lbs. pale ale
1 lbs. Munich
0.6 lbs. medium crystal (Fawcett)
0.2 lbs. chocolate rye

7 g Magnum (15.1% AA) @ 60 min.
14 g Northern Brewer (7.3% AA) @ 10 min.
14 g Hallertau (4.3% AA) @ 10 min.
14 g Northern Brewer (7.3% AA) @ 0 min.
14 g Hallertau (4.3% AA) @ 0 min.

My last CA Common used Crystal instead of Hallertau, but I've got a piddly 7 g of Crystal left. Suggestions for a different hop schedule? (I have a somewhat eclectic mix of hops in storage.)

In the spirit of playing around, should I add a few grams of spruce tips? A few ounces of smoked malt? Any other off-the-wall ideas?

I like the idea! I love smoked beers (smoked anything, really). I have a smoked porter in the fv now with 12 oz of Weyerman smoked malt that is just right for me but that's probably too much for this beer. Good luck!

I like the idea! I love smoked beers (smoked anything, really). I have a smoked porter in the fv now with 12 oz of Weyerman smoked malt that is just right for me but that's probably too much for this beer. Good luck!
I make a lot of smoked beers. I get malt from Sugar Creek in central IN; their smoke level is much, much higher than Weyermann or Briess. Really an ounce or less could hit the perceptible-only-if-you-know-it’s-there level I’d be shooting for. I’m thinking birch or cherry for this recipe.

I make a lot of smoked beers. I get malt from Sugar Creek in central IN; their smoke level is much, much higher than Weyermann or Briess. Really an ounce or less could hit the perceptible-only-if-you-know-it’s-there level I’d be shooting for. I’m thinking birch or cherry for this recipe.
No smoked malts, but I just ordered some malts from Sugar Creek and some Crazy Horse hops to brew an all Indiana beer.

What yeast do you plan to use? The curious want to know.
W34/70. Always dry yeast for these spur-of-the-moment I-think-I’ll-brew-today days.

Brew day was kind of a fiasco. OG was way, way low (~1.062) and the beer was extremely dark.

I’m going to see how the NB-Hallertau combination works out, plus the small amount of spruce I put in. But I may then take this knowledge and immediately make another, better beer.

Back