Imperial Amber Ale Recipe. Brewing as we speak. Please comment.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddskinnfan

Reaction score
Hi all,

Here it the grain bill:

9 lb 8 oz Pils
2 lb 6 oz Vienna
2 lb 6 oz Munich 10L
5 oz Caramel 60L

Just mashed and Pre-boil OG was 1.046 @ 150*. Looks like 85% efficiency.

Here is the hop schedule:

60 min - 1 oz Nugget
30 min - 1 oz Simcoe
15 min - 1 oz Tomahawk
10 min - 1 oz Chinook
5 min - 1 oz Williamette
0 min - 1 oz Nugget

Will dry hop in secondary with:

2 oz Nugget

Will also add:

15 min - 1 oz Irish Moss

Let me know what you guys think. This is my attempt to get a flavor close to Troegs Nugget Nectar, but with my own spin.

Any comments welcomed.

with a preboil gravity of 1.046, it's not looking very Imperial, unless you are going to reduce the volume by 40-50%. Otherwise, looks OK.

Pre-boil OG of 1.046 was at 150*, with conversion (since my hydrometer is calibrated at 60*) it is actually 1.065. Might be Imperial after all! ;)

30 mins left in the boil. Nugget and Simcoe have already been added. 15 mins till Irish Moss, Tomahawk, and Immersion Chiller go in!

I'm sure it'll be good beer!

In my opinion, though, an amber needs crystal, especially in a bigger amber. I think it's more like an APA or an IPA, with only 5 ounces of crystal.

Oh, I meant to ask about the nugget. I've never been a fan, so I've never used it in late additions or dry hopping. What does it bring to the aroma/flavor? What kind of taste will you get from dryhopping it?

Back