Immersion Chiller Build Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guidry

Reaction score
I was planning to build a CF chiller mainly because my local supply of copper tubing is limited to either 25 or 100 ft lengths. I really didn't want to buy 100ft and I got a good deal on a 25 ft roll. I know 25ft is probably not long enough for a chiller coil however then I got an idea. What if I went with a "rib cage" style using 2 25ft lengths joined together at the bottom with a soldered couple? Does anyone see a problem with that idea. The joint would be a possible leak spot, how easy/hard is it to solder a leak free joint like that?

I'm planning a similar upgrade to mine. Absolutely no problem with a soldered joint. Soldering leak free joints is really childs play. Just make sure you abrade (sand paper) all the surfaces that will be joining each other, apply flux, and slip everything together. Then hit the joint with a torch and apply your solder on the opposite side of the torch from the heat, this will ensure you don't get a cold solder joint. Once the solder starts to melt, pull the torch away and quickly run your solder all the way around your joint. It'll wick in for a good seal.

Latest posts

Back