I'm using EZ water and have a question about mash PH.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Washington_Brewologist

THE PNW BIAB BrewOlogist
Reaction score
So I'm trying to start using brewing salts on brew day and started using the EZ water spreadsheet alongside beersmith to help guide me. I seem to have everything worked out in terms of which salts to add and their quantities. I'm wondering if you guys agree with the dude at my LHBS when he said that having a mash of 5.65 is no big deal. He says it will go down over the duration of the mash. I'm just looking for some clarification because I seem to be right on the cusp of being too high.
Screenshot (2).png

I’m pretty sure the pH of most mashes increases over time. It’s as low as it’s gonna be at the beginning. If you start over 5.6 you’ll definitely need to acidify the sparge water. I’d adjust at the beginning of the mash too.

I’m pretty sure the pH of most mashes increases over time. It’s as low as it’s gonna be at the beginning. If you start over 5.6 you’ll definitely need to acidify the sparge water. I’d adjust at the beginning of the mash too.

So I'm getting ready to brew today and have no acid on hand. Is there any way I can adjust or add more minerals to lower PH. Or should I just make a trip down to the LHBS?

Too many minerals could adversely affect the beer flavor. A trip to the LHBS for lactic acid or acidulated malt is the better approach.

Yeah, I’d be afraid of the pH getting to high especially when you sparge. Adjust with lactic acid

I guess I should have mentioned Im doing no-sparge BIAB.
Ah, you could get away with it then. Although I think many here will say your starting pH is on the high end. But since I think you should stay under 5.8 for the duration, you should be ok.

Back