Im trying to brew at my parents but left my yeast at home four hours away.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvtspook

Reaction score
I packed all my gear and extract kit and drove 4 hours to my parents house in northern WI. I was excited to show my dad this new home brewing thing I've started doing. I brought everything into the house and started to unpack and was looking for the wyeast 1056 American ale yeast to put it in the fridge. That is when I realized that the slap pack is still in Minneapolis in my fridge. The town they live in is crazy small, with only a bar a gas station and a k-12 school with only 84 kids. There is a town a half hour away that is big enough to have a Wal-Mart and a couple of grocery stores. Is there any types of yeast that would work that would be carried by regular grocery or maybe health stores that would work or am I just S.O.L. since there is no home brew stores that are les that 4 hours away. I have resigned my self to the fact that I will just have to spend a lazy weekend watching the badgers in the final four with my Pops which is half the reason I came up anyway so no big deal. Ill just leave my stuff with him and mail him some yeast when I get home. He has made a lot of mac&cheese in his day so I'm sure he can brew some beer without me standing over his shoulder. Well thanks for listening to me vent for a bit. Luckily I brought a couple sixers of my last brew so I'll just RDWHAHB.

on the off chance any one has a suggestion the kit I have is a northern brewer cream ale extract kit wit specialty grains and calls for "wyeast 1056 American ale" liqued yeast or the dry yeast "safale us-05 ale yeast"

To be honest homie, wait to brew it the next visit. I know it's not what you want to hear, but there is no use in ruining a perfectly good kit with bread yeast. Unless you happen upon some dry brewing yeast, I would just hold off.

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

Maybe if you could list it here... or even better.. start another thread stating... brewing help needed near... wherever you are..

Probably someone here isn't that far away...and might have some yeast you could use... or tell you where to buy some more...

Well, how long are you going to be there. Your best bet would be to find a store bought beer that still has some yeasties in suspension. And make a starter off of that. I doubt you even have time to do that though. Perhaps, do some googling for a local homebrew club. You might could buy a pack of someone.

Using a store bought bakers yeast, would probably be super gross.

If you post the name of the town you might get some help. Someone may even know a fairly close shop that carries brewing yeast.

Luckily I brought a couple sixers of my last brew so I'll just RDWHAHB.

you answered your own question right there, assuming you bottle conditioned your own beer. there is viable yeast in those bottles. pour the dregs into a sanitized container and let them warm up, create a small starter with some dry extract and add the dregs.

you answered your own question right there, assuming you bottle conditioned your own beer. there is viable yeast in those bottles. pour the dregs into a sanitized container and let them warm up, create a small starter with some dry extract and add the dregs.

That's the ticket right there. You could even use the dry extract that came with the kit (EDIT: that's probably what mhurst meant.. i'm a little tipsy) since you probably won't be able to get that either. Barring that, a starter of molasses and sugar may work.

You could brew right before you leave. Show him how it's done, drive the four hours home and pitch the yeast when you get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I never would have thought of this. Ill drink some beers tonight and harvest the yeast from there. I never stop learning great stuff from this forum. Thank you guys so much for all the help and quick responses.

Not sure if you have done a starter before, but 10 grams of dry extract to 100 ml of water will get you close to 1.040 gravity. Hopefully your dad has a small kitchen scale. Just 'steal' a little of the dme from the kit to make a starter. If you get it going tonight or early on Saturday, should be able to pitch Saturday night.

Also. Don't drink out of the bottles your harvesting out of. Pour it into a glass. Your starter needs to be super sanitary or you will grow a funky starter. Which will make funk beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

When are you going home? You could brew, and just pitch the yeast when you get home if it's not a long time.

What town are you in in N. WI? I might know of someone who can help you out, depending on where you are.

Back