I'm Thinking... 09/09/09 Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a note to say I'm starting to send out names and addresses, but they're going our piecemeal as I find time. I should have them all out in the next few days.

I'd ask that once you get your names and addresses, you PM each person individually and confirm the addresses I sent you are correct. (I'm confident they are...but I'm a little anal...)

Pulled out the American oak and amarillo dry hop bags yesterday. Dropped the keg into the chiller. She's on 30 PSI for 30 hours and then will "mature" at 10 PSI for the next two weeks.

Now to select my other beers to include. I'm thinking 1 each of my:
Left Nut Brown Ale
Kona Clone APA.
Stone(ish) Clone IPA.
And if it's ready, my Pliny(ish) IIPA.

Pulled out the American oak and amarillo dry hop bags yesterday. Dropped the keg into the chiller. She's on 30 PSI for 30 hours and then will "mature" at 10 PSI for the next two weeks.

Now to select my other beers to include. I'm thinking 1 each of my:
Left Nut Brown Ale
Kona Clone APA.
Stone(ish) Clone IPA.
And if it's ready, my Pliny(ish) IIPA.

Is it too late for me to get in on the swap and have you draw my name? :D

This beer is proving to be a lot harder to carb then any other beer I have done.
It has been in the kezzer for a few weeks now at 40*. It sat for a little over a week almost two weeks at 12psi. I tested it and there was nothing. So I closed off all the other kegs and pump the psi up to 30 for 3 days. Then dropped it back to 12psi for the last week.
Pulled a pint last night and it's still not very carboanted. :confused:
On a side note after drinking 12 oz of it I could not feel my lips anymore.:drunk:

Shake the bugger. I had the same problems with rootbeer and after shaking it every time I walked past the kegs did the trick.

This beer is proving to be a lot harder to carb then any other beer I have done.
It has been in the kezzer for a few weeks now at 40*. It sat for a little over a week almost two weeks at 12psi. I tested it and there was nothing. So I closed off all the other kegs and pump the psi up to 30 for 3 days. Then dropped it back to 12psi for the last week.
Pulled a pint last night and it's still not very carboanted. :confused:
On a side note after drinking 12 oz of it I could not feel my lips anymore.:drunk:
Just bottled mine today. The flavor has improved quite a bit as it has aged in the secondary for three months. Followed the Professors advice from his response in Zymyrgy about carbing a high alc beer. I rehydrated some Saffale 05 and added 3 drops per bottle to help carb. I also did this to 13 bottles of a Thomas hardy's clone I made that never carbed. Popped the caps off and added the 3 drops off yeast, I'll let you know how that worked in the future.

Warrior

Seems like with it being so thick it just does not want to carb. I'll do that shake and see how it goes.

Bigger beers also seem to have carb levels vary within different strata of the beer. In other words, the upper third of your beer is likely more carbonated than the lower third. Eventually it works its way through, but some folks over compensate and leave too high a PSI on for too long, so that by the time the lower 3rd is carb'd...the upper 3rd is over carb'd.

In lieu of shaking, try disconnecting the gas, bleeding pressure, removing lid and using a sanitized paddle to gentle stir and mix the beer a bit. I've had this happen a few times.

Mine has been bottled for about 6 weeks I think. At first they I thought they hadn't carbed. However, after testing a few ;) I think they seemed to be carbed for the most part. I'll test again before I send out just to make sure, if they aren't carbed I might just counterpressure a couple.

Bigger beers also seem to have carb levels vary within different strata of the beer. In other words, the upper third of your beer is likely more carbonated than the lower third. Eventually it works its way through, but some folks over compensate and leave too high a PSI on for too long, so that by the time the lower 3rd is carb'd...the upper 3rd is over carb'd.

In lieu of shaking, try disconnecting the gas, bleeding pressure, removing lid and using a sanitized paddle to gentle stir and mix the beer a bit. I've had this happen a few times.

I think what I'll do it shut the gas off, bleed it off and then rock the keg from end to end to mix it up. Then set it back to 12 psi and wait.

Just bottled mine today. The flavor has improved quite a bit as it has aged in the secondary for three months. Followed the Professors advice from his response in Zymyrgy about carbing a high alc beer. I rehydrated some Saffale 05 and added 3 drops per bottle to help carb. I also did this to 13 bottles of a Thomas hardy's clone I made that never carbed. Popped the caps off and added the 3 drops off yeast, I'll let you know how that worked in the future.

Warrior
Damn, I'm impatient popped one after 3 days, not carbonated yet, Duh!
Definately leans more towards an english version than american. I'm liking the taste now to let it alone for at least three more weeks:)

Hey guys,

I just sent BM a pm, but I dont think i'll be home in enough time to get mine mailed off by the correct date. I was thinking I'll just post to you guys when I get home (mid-end of august) and see if people have some extras they dont mind swapping with me.

Interesting development tonight with my 999. I added a bit of smoked malt to the recipe and haven't been able to really detect it in the beer. Tonight, I popped one open to test the progress and what is that in the background? A bit of smoke. Also interesting is that the EKG dry-hopping is more prevalent now than it has been since I first tested it. I've been cold-conditioning them for the last week in preparation for shipping so maybe that's the cause? Wonder what a few more weeks of cold conditioning will do?

I guess I'll give an update on mine too. I dry hopped with Chinook and Cascade, but couldn't take them out when I wanted. The beer is a bit grassy at this point, but pretty drinkable. I also added American oak spirals to the beer which is giving a slight vanilla character to the beer. It will be interesting to see how this matures. I will finish carbing and bottle next week.

Then it's into the chiller and on the gas (30PSI for 30 hours), drop PSI to serving and let sit a few more weeks until BMBF'ing time.

BM,
What temperature did you chill this to while carbing at 30psi? I put mine on gas in the kegerator at 25psi last night. I haven't put a thermo in there for a while, but it is somewhere between freezing and 40. :D

BM,
What temperature did you chill this to while carbing at 30psi? I put mine on gas in the kegerator at 25psi last night. I haven't put a thermo in there for a while, but it is somewhere between freezing and 40. :D
My chiller is at 37 degrees.

The 30PSI for 48 hours I normally do (if the keg starts out warm) was hardly sufficient.

Anecdotal evidence tells me the heavier the beer, the more time on higher gas is required to get sufficient carbonation.

My Tits-Up IIPA behaved similarly at 1084.

How long did you end up having to blast it at 30psi?
Did you shake/stir it at all?

I am still on the fence as to the effects of shaking the keg.

How long did you end up having to blast it at 30psi?
Did you shake/stir it at all?

I am still on the fence as to the effects of shaking the keg.

No shaking. I added another 12 hours and then dialed it down. (That was last night).

I'll force myself to go home tonight and sample and report back. :p

Just plugged my addresses into UPS's shipping calculator.....

OUCH!!:mad:
Looks like I am going to fork out close to 50 bucks to ship my stuff.
(That's what I get for living in the fartherst D@mn Northwest corner of the country!!)

Well, I just bottled 18 Barleywines from the keg. I didn't think it would ever carb, but it pours with a nice 1/2 to 5/8 head. I'll let the bottles sit for a week or so then test then pack and ship.

Just plugged my addresses into UPS's shipping calculator.....

OUCH!!:mad:
Looks like I am going to fork out close to 50 bucks to ship my stuff.
(That's what I get for living in the fartherst D@mn Northwest corner of the country!!)
Yeah...but the stuff coming to you is coming free of charge. :D

I'm all ready to ship, just waiting on the damn boxes to come in from USPS.... Hoping to ship out sometime this week :mug:

Tapped into it for the first time and gave tasters to whoever wanted to try it during the Michigan St. / UConn game.

Everyone's , literally everyone, first comment was "Wow!" after tasting it. It's a big, bold beer with a lot going on in the flavor.

I'm fairly jazzed.

Tapped into it for the first time and gave tasters to whoever wanted to try it during the Michigan St. / UConn game.

Everyone's , literally everyone, first comment was "Wow!" after tasting it. It's a big, bold beer with a lot going on in the flavor.

I'm fairly jazzed.

Yeah my old man had 3 pints of it Saturday before I cut him off and sent him home. With every sip he would say "DAMN this is good". :drunk:

I will get mine shipped by end of month. I have had a few bottles, and it's pretty good IMO, and forks you up pretty good if your not careful. Definitely could use a couple-three months more aging though. Mine's dry-hopped with Chinook, and oaked.

KD

Shipped out and tracking numbers have been PMed to what I think are the correct inbox, if I have mixed someone up, just PM me and i'll send you the right one.

Estimated delivery date is Wednesday... get crunk.

I'm holding off a bit to let some other beers I'll be sending clear up in the chiller.

That, and my typical days now consist of 14 hours at work...then 3 hours of heavy drinking.

I just pulled a sample of mine out of the keg last night. I was a little nervous from the sample I tried a few weeks back, but man. Something really changed in this beer in that time frame. It was great!

I'll probably bottle mine up in a few weeks and get them out before it starts getting too warm.

Got mine bottled up. I will probably ship them tomorrow. I still need to finish putting together the "extra" brews that will accompany the 999. None of my other homebrews are ready.

I am planning to ship on the later side of April as well. The bottle conditioning has been quite slow so I am going to do some very small yeast additions to try to help things along. I think a touch of yeast and some warmer temps will help this thing carb up a little quicker. I'd like to give it a week or so after doing the yeast addition before sending out the bottles.

On a bright note, even with nearly no carbonation, the one I am drinking now tastes ****ing awesome (yes, it inspires awe)! It's nice and complex, noticeable alcohol but not hot, some good hop bite to balance the maltiness... I hope I can keep some of these around until the winter. The buzz after half a glass is slightly intimidating though.... :D

Bottled up.

One step at a time. Will box and ship later this week.

2-BW's
1-Helles
1-Haus APA (aka Kona)
1-Tits Up IIPA
1-Captain Hooked on Bitters (1st place Special Bitters)

p1040043.jpg

All except the BW's can be enjoyed immediately (after a good 48 hour chill).

Back