I'm searching for a "Name, Term?" Sam Calagione

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandonesc

Reaction score
Hey new to brewing here and trying to get a few things lined up before I start my first batches.

Now, I don't know what video clip, or documentary I was watching but Sam Calagione of Dogfish Head said (now I don't know the exact name or term for this) but "test" beers with ingredients in it they were thinking of trying. It was almost like a tea?

The goal is to test ingredient ideas, or see how the beer will taste before hand, waiting months for it to be ready, etc... my question is... is there some term for this? or name? I'd like test some sample ideas of an IPA before I actually go about doing so, as well as see what other peoples flavor ideas are on this forum.

If they're unfermented then "teas" works. Lot of people make grain teas or hop teas or infusions in a french press coffee pot to test flavors.

If they're fermented, we usually just call them "test batches" some are as small as 1 gallon. I do a lot of 2.5 gallon test batches.

There's not really a "technical term" for either of those.....

If they're unfermented then "teas" works. Lot of people make grain teas or hop teas or infusions in a french press coffee pot to test flavors.

If they're fermented, we usually just call them "test batches" some are as small as 1 gallon. I do a lot of 2.5 gallon test batches.

There's not really a "technical term" for either of those.....

We usually say "tea", but tincture is the term normally used when alcohol (i.e., vodka) used used to draw out the flavor. This is often done for vanilla beans, among other flavors.

I'd guess Sam said tea.

Thanks, both of ya. So the idea is adding flavorings, or herbs, whatever to the wort? give it a sip and that gives you a general idea of the taste? does this include hop mixtures?

My main reason of interest in this is by mixing different hops beforehand and seeing what combos taste best imo, as well as aroma.

If you're looking for a name or a term how about "maceration?"

Basically an extraction process that can be broken down into a large variety of different methods.

Solvents, water, alcohol, acid, or base narrow things down and they can then get more specific with temperature, pressure and on and on, with teas, tinctures, extracts and others mentioned being the most common when dealing with foods or flavorings.
?????
bosco

I know Sam still uses his original 10G system for test batches before going to the huge system in the plant. He travels the world looking for unique ingredients. They go through the small system first. He then fills to 5G kegs for folks to try at his brewpub for feedback before commiting to larger ones.

Back