I'm over carboys...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Much to my dread, I might have to go back to my 6.5 gallon carboy, because it turns out I can't fit a bucket in my new keezmentation chamber. The 6.5 gallon carboy slides right in, barely.

Does anyone know of taller, skinnier buckets? I will have to take measuring tape to LHBS and measure better bottles to see if they are any larger around than carboys. They probably are, though, with those rings and all. It looks like I might be stuck using a carboy for some time. I would use a corny, but they are only 5 gallons and I need enough headspace for fermenting.

I like the Sanke fermenter. Since I do 10 gallon batches, it's easier for me than splitting the batches into two vessels. And it's significantly cheaper than a conical. Easy to sanitize (toss 2 gallons of water in and bring it to a boil), and because I can transfer to the kegs under CO2 pressure, I never have to move the keg once it's in the fermenting fridge, so I get nice sediment-free transfers.

Obviously for people doing 5 gallon batches, it's not nearly as suitable, and if I were doing 5 gallons I'd likely do that in a bucket. But for people doing bigger batches, I recommend considering this.

sanke-fermenter.jpg

I've recently decided to go with Ale Pails all the way. I've always done my primary in them, and for the first time I just racked into another one for my secondary. I expect a lot less hassle. Cleaning, and just generally dealing with carboys is a real pain. Maybe I can't see the beer, but oh well.

Yep, it looks like I'm stuck with my glass carboy. My 6.5 gallon carboy is 10.9 inches diameter. I think a bucket might fit if I trim the rings around the top, but that seems a bit iffy.

I'm still using both carboys and buckets but am going to buckets as need allows me to make the changes. The biggest problem that I am having is finding lids for my buckets that are air tight. I guess that it is not an absolute requirement that they be air tight but I like it that way. Anyway I use to have no problem but now nothing seems to fit tight enough to keep
H20 from running out of a bucket when I turn it upside down with a lid on. Also I have noticed that the plastic on the lids now seems to split ounce it is cut, a problem that I never had before. Any suggestions?

I started fermenting in buckets, moved to carboys, then corny kegs. Stopped brewing and sold it all back in the 90s. A couple of years ago, I started brewing again and I have buckets again. I'm definitely not going back to glass. I may buy a small ss conical to fit inside my fermentation fridge. I also have three of these that I use first:
DSC_0046.jpg

I have one bucket and two glass carboys, a 6.5 and 5 gallon. I like using the bucket for primary simply because it is easier to pour the beer into the bucket as I do mostly extract brews as of late and find it easier to pour, pitch, and go.

Slightly off-topic: In college, I once fermented a batch of beer in a 10-gallon fish tank! Alcohol might have played a part in that decision, but in the end... the beer turned out fine.

I've been using the same two glass carboys for the last 10 years.. plus a more recent better bottle. I made a really simple carboy washer (a bucket and a pond pump) a few years ago that makes cleaning them trivial -- just plug the thing in and come back in an hour. The carboy brush hasn't been used since then.

I would like to try the Sanke fermenter idea sometime though..

Back