im new to this and have a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crown_cres

Reaction score
hi there i am new to homebrewing and have another question. getting ready to brew this weekend. anyways i have been using the coopers kits and i am ready to graduate to bulk unhoped extract my question is in the beer cans you added corn sugar do i need to add sugar to extract and how much ??? oh and by the way i will also be steeping special grains. any info would be great thanks for all your help

I'd try to stay away from using corn sugar for anything except priming. Just a GENERAL idea is to use 6.6lbs of liquid OR 6lbs of dry for each 5gal batch. If you head over to the recepie section you might be able to find one that will suit your needs. Also dont forget that if you use unhopped malt extract you will have to boil hops also.

crown_cres said:
i am ready to graduate to bulk unhoped extract my question is in the beer cans you added corn sugar do i need to add sugar to extract and how much ???

Depends on the recipe but likely the only corn sugar you will be adding will be for bottle priming at the bottling stage.

The only thing corn sugar will do if put in the wort would be that it will raise the ABV. Add the corn sugar to your bottling bucket right before your ready to bottle.

I wouldn't add any corn sugar, even to raise the ABV, if you want a bigger beer, just add more extract. If you're really unsure, try one of AHS extract kits, they come with everything you need; extract, hops, priming sugar, yeast. The only caution is that the hops are not premeasured, so you will need some kind of kitchen scale, Target sells them pretty cheap.

or you do like i usually do.....I need .75 oz of hops, so i pinch it in the middle, then another quarter of it and dump 3/4 of the oz into the boil.

Ditto on the sugar comments.

Hops, I'd get a seperate bag for them. Lately I've been just cleaning my grain bag and using it for the hops, but its frustrating and its much easier to just buy a few extra bags and be done with it.

What brew are you making?

As for steeping those grains, you don't have to stand there the whole time and steep the bag. Just do it once or twice every 5 minutes and you should be golden.

My next batch is this weekend, brew on brothers!

Latest posts

Back