I'm here for the soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boyblue

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was looking for ideas on how I could make soda better than store bought and everything that came up was about healthy alternatives and that's not my motivation, I just want simply better. So I figured I'd look for a forum for soda makers which led me here.

Welcome! What kind of soda are you wanting to make? The only soda syrup I’ve ever made myself is ginger ale. I made a gallon of syrup very inexpensively and it turned out surprisingly well. If I ever do it again I would try smaller batches and play with the sweetener as it had a pretty definitive raw sugar taste to it. I’ve also always wanted to try making a root beer as well.

Welcome to the group. I have toyed with making root beer but have not yet pulled the trigger. I cannot say I monitor or look at the soda forum very often, but these guys and gals are awesome, so ask away.

Appreciate it, I have a question that may be general enough for any craft enthusiast to answer. Do you try to compete with store bought products on price or do craft products add enough value and exclusivity that cost comparisons are of little concern?

Appreciate it, I have a question that may be general enough for any craft enthusiast to answer. Do you try to compete with store bought products on price or do craft products add enough value and exclusivity that cost comparisons are of little concern?
To me, the cost is not a huge issue. If you take into consideration your time and other things that I don't consider when I do this, the cost may or may not be better. I do it cause it is a fun way to make something I enjoy myself. Others will chime in, but I think this hobby really isn't one for savings, but more for the enjoyment of making something that you can enjoy and offer to friends to enjoy as well. Just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth.

I make some root beer from time to time. After the cost of extract, spices, sugar, CO2, etc., I doubt I'm saving any money. I could just buy root beer from the store, but that defeats the whole purpose of my hobby. I make it because I enjoy it.

Same for the beer and hard cider I make.

Back