I'm going to wait on this beer, hopefully it will improve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abweatherley

Reaction score
So I finished bottling an English Bitter this last week from Midwest Supplies.

Primed and bottled according to the recipe. Just tasted a bottle to see how it was going to taste. and so far not impressed. It tastes of the plastic it fermented in. It is no where finished carbing and I know this will take another three or so weeks to do so.

So can anyone give me any ideas on the plastic taste or is that just a homebrewing thing. Also here is the recipe

3.3 lbs. Gold liquid malt extract,
1.25 lb. Alexanders Pale Malt,
8 oz. Carapils,
8 oz. Crystal 10L
1 oz. of US Goldings hops at 60 mins
1 oz. of US Goldings hops at 5 End of Boil

yeast SAFALE 11.5 gram Dry Yeast

Also had Fermcap about 2 drops

fermenented at 65F or lower

Phenols can cause a plasticy off-flavor and are typically the result of mashing/sparging at an improper temperature and/or pH. Do you remember your mash temp./duration?

Also, while it is possible to get an idea of what your beer may taste like before bottle conditioning, you should never assume anything too concrete. Some of my favorite brews tasted awful before conditioning and vice versa.

Sorry it was an extract brew. I steeped at between 155-175 for 30 minutes. I found out last night that there are Chloramines in our tap water and I used tap water for my boiling of my extract and then topped off again with around another gallon after I ran out of distilled water.

The last Batch I made had te same problem where I had belches of burnt rubber, Which leads me to believe it is either my easy-clean residue or the tap water.

Sounds like you got some chlorophenols. You should try using some campden tablets/potassium metabisulfite next time and see if it makes a difference.

Back