I'm finally brewing again today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First batch in something like a year! Has it been that long? Damn.

My system is pretty screwed up - the microprocessor circuitry got fried last year during a storm, the laptop is dead, and I haven't found the time to fix any of it. I did upgrade the March pump to a peristaltic setup, and this is its inaugural batch. No more priming difficulties!

I'm doing a 10 gallon no sparge smoked porter since my steam system is down. Here's the recipe:

16.5 lbs 2 Row
10 lbs Rauch
0.5 lb Crystal 90
1 lb Carafa III
1 lb Roasted Barley

Single infusion starting at 158º F with only the base/crystal malts (my tun cools fast, so it'll probably average about 154º F without steam to help). After conversion is complete, I'm going to stir in the roasted grains which have been completely pulverized in the Vitamix blender. Then I'll almost immediately start draining the mash tun The idea is to maximize color and goodness while minimizing the acrid flavors.

3 oz EKG at 60 mins
1 oz EKG at flameout

S-04 dry yeast

Trips, other projects, disappointment in my last batch (a hefe that was positively awful), the idea that I would fix and upgrade my rig before brewing again, etc, etc. The Ranco on my kegerator was fried in the same storm, so I'll need to get that working by the end of the month when I keg. That'll learn me to forgo the use of surge protectors...

I finally decided that I could either wait for the rig to be perfect, or just get back to brewing some beer!!! I think I may do the no sparge thing more often if this turns out well.

Congratultions! And I'm starting the build on my CNC Router/Plasma Table next weekend! Received my first set of bearing carriages this week, and the aluminum extrusions and steel for the rails is on a FedEx truck somewhere between NC and me...

I mention that, because you are one who can appreciate my excitement over this... and I have been waiting a long time to start...

Geeze, I thought it was bad that I went 3 months without brewing. A year? You're crazy, man. I'm sure it's good to be back!

:mug:

I'm actually surprised I stuck with the forum over the past year. I was pretty discouraged with brewing for a while. Guess that's a testament to the good folks of HBT!

I finally decided that I could either wait for the rig to be perfect, or just get back to brewing some beer!!! I think I may do the no sparge thing more often if this turns out well.

I know that feeling. I brewed for the frist time in forever 2 weeks ago. I have 3 half assembled systems from moving from the old one to 2new ones which = 0 "setups". I just said screw it and peiced something together. Doing the same next weekend. With all these crazy system builds around these forums, it's hard to remember that all we need is a pot, a heat source and maybe a bucket. Have fun.

Yuri, you should post some pix while you go. I mean, everyone else does and this seems to be an event worth documenting. Besides, I want to see your setup.

Most of that silicone hose isn't connected. I just don't have a better place for it at the moment. The pump is on top of a paint can because I haven't mounted it yet. I need a plate chiller. That big PVC thing on the left was a miserable failure. It burns through lots of ice but doesn't really get the job done well.

But...I'm all doughed in and hit the strike temp exactly! Smells great. Hard to believe that light colored brew is destined to be a dark porter.

scaledp1030534.jpg

scaledp1030535.jpg

I know exactly what you mean about being discouraged. I went for several months without brewing as well. When my BCS build got so frustrating. I was determined to wait for my next batch to be on the new brewery. HBT kept me interested and eventually got me motivated enough to say WTF, I came out of retirement and brewed a batch the old way on my Turkey Fryer. It's almost gone, and it has been great! Now I'm back at it just need to split my time between brewing and sorting out the brewery issues.

It's good to be back in the game.

Have I mentioned how much I love the peristaltic pump? I just ran it dry while emptying my boil kettle of unused strike liquor. I didn't worry one bit!

I should make a chart showing flow rate at different RPMs so I can use a stopwatch (or SSR on a timer) to measure volume.

I was wondering if you had stopped brewing, seems that you haven't been around as much lately. Good to see you back in the saddle!

Grain absorption was through the roof. I'm short 1.5 gallons after draining the mash tun. There's a chance I'll be able to ferment this in a single Better Bottle instead of using my big conical. This is going to be an expensive 6 gallons of beer. Smells good, though!

After adding the roasted grains to the mash:

scaledp1030537.jpg

Starting the boil:

scaledp1030538.jpg

The wort tastes good. It's hardly bitter at all, and the smoke comes through well.

Just did a little recirc from the boil kettle through the mash tun. That should help get a little more sugar and hence the ability for some more volume. I'm at 9 gallons pre-boil right now. I'd rather be at 11-12. We'll see if this helps fix anything...

EDIT:
Meh, doesn't look like it did enough to be worthwhile. Looks like I'm gonna have a 7-ish gallon batch. I should've mashed thinner.

So my refractometer is a big fat liar, and I'm glad I didn't mash any thinner! I just measured some of the chilled wort with my hydrometer, and it's 1.075...I was shooting for 1.056!!! So, I topped up with 2 more gallons (added to the boil kettle while it was still piping hot), and all is well. I have 10 gallons of wort as planned. Those first runnings must've been super strong.

Sweet!!!

Saved cleaning until after dinner - finally done.

All in all it was a fairly smooth day, and I remember how much fun I have when I brew! I pitched a healthy amount of S-04 at 60º F. The brew hut shouldn't get warmer than 68º over the next few days. I have high hopes for this one!

So my refractometer is a big fat liar.....

I have found this to be too true, too often. My refractometer is the most expensive thing in my garage that does nothing but take up space.

Congrats on a successful "first" brew! :mug:

I'm looking to build a peristaltic pump as well. I'm holding off on buying a March until I decide on the design and see if it looks like I could even build it. We used them to mix colorant into the plastic material when I worked for a plastic injection molding company years ago. They use pellets now, but I see how the design could be MUCH better than a March style pump.

Back