I'm an idiot...who is with me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocScott

Reaction score
It finally happened. After taking December off from brewing due to the holidays, work and family visiting, I was super excited to finally brew up a batch inspired by FW Double Jack that I had been planning for 3 months. I had placed a bulk hop order back in November and have over 5 lbs in my freezer, but I knew I needed to get some Cascade for this recipe so I included that with my grain/yeast which I ordered a few weeks back...
...only, I already had Cascade.

I needed Centennial - and 4 oz of it for brew day plus 2 for dry hop. I knew I was an idiot, but didn't realize it this time until the boil. Not enough time to go to the "local" store, so I took some Amarillo from my freezer to substitute. I know this will turn out fine - probably like it better than the original - but it is so frustrating when stuff like this happens after so much planning. I'm calling this one "Armadillo Jack" and will make sure the label has something on it to remember my stupidity. Anyone else do this lately?

I do this daily, if not more. But actually I'm a pretty good planner/organizer when it comes to beer. It is the other facets of my life where I am truly an idiot:drunk:

Add me to this list.

And for acts of idiocy that are truly far and wide in their depth and scope...

Spanning many MANY hobbies, home improvements and generally speaking ideas that seemed inspired when I first thought them!

I do that stuff all the time. Spent a few days planning out a recipe with no 60 minute hop addtion -everything in at 30 and after. Wanted to see the effect. You guessed it. Got the boil fired up, had things rolling, set the timer for 60 min. boil and BAM - threw in 1.25 ounces of chinook out of habit. About 2 minutes later I realized the whole point of the recipe was no 60 minute additon - oh well, another day.

In the words of Bob Ross -

"There are no mistakes, just happy accidents."

And, more amarillo is a very, very HAPPY accident!

I started a batch once without checking the amount of propane in my tank. Needless to say it wasn't enough... That night I ordered a PID and SSR.

Back