• We have a new forum and it needs your help! Homebrewing Deals is a forum to post whatever deals and specials you find that other homebrewers might value! Includes coupon layering, Craigslist finds, eBay finds, Amazon specials, etc.

I'm about to give up.

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

NitrogenWidget

Reaction score
I brewed a wheat beer last night as the base for my blueberry wheat.
1 oz of saaz at 60 min.
5lbs of red wheat
3lbs of 2-row
1lb of flaked oats
I was looking for 4 ish percent but, I came in low on the OG (because I forgot wheat needs to be crushed tighter) so I tossed a cup of table sugar in to bump it up.
I'm adding 3 lbs of frozen blueberries post sorbate into secondary I intend to puree in the blender so i'm not too worried about body.

I mashed in at about 152. was 154 then temp drop after grain.
I sprinkled some mangrove jack M20 on it at 72 deg then put the bucket in my high 60's basement.

this morning it smelled like banana bread.
i'll update on what it tastes like before I add blueberries.

Bobbybob

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a some slides of the presentation I was talking about.
0056AF6A-39D6-4495-B520-0D97DBDFA54C.png
D9F2A5D8-250A-4B38-8D38-9778D92A4E4B.png
5213B9C5-BC12-4D53-A10F-B988ED8C30C8.png

Except for one Berliner Weiss style I made I have never made a mixed fermentation beer (on purpose). That being said it is on my to brew list to make a “Banana Bomb Hef” with this method.

OP
Jayjay1976

Jayjay1976

Bubblegazer
Reaction score

Bassman2003

Reaction score
Looks like White Labs offers Torulaspora delbrueckii but it mentions fruit forward IPAs in the description. Any other places one can purchase the strain for banana use? Seems like a cool lever to pull in a hefeweizen.

OP
Jayjay1976

Jayjay1976

Bubblegazer
Reaction score
Looks like White Labs offers Torulaspora delbrueckii but it mentions fruit forward IPAs in the description. Any other places one can purchase the strain for banana use? Seems like a cool lever to pull in a hefeweizen.
According to what was posted above by @Bobbybob it produces isoamyl acetate which is found in a lot of fruits but comes across as banana so it is a natural for hefeweizen, but it would also work well with fruity hops in an IPA to boost the overall fruit impression.

Bassman2003

Reaction score
I found this product from Lallemand - LEVEL2 Biodiva™ | Catalogue | Lallemand Wine

It is Torulaspora delbrueckii for the wine industry. Pretty sure this is what would create the banana flavors paired with the right yeast from reading other articles. I have only found it in 500g or 125g packs, so pretty pricey. If they had 11g packets it would probably cost $5-6.

dnr

Up your IBU!
Reaction score
I couldn't get Brewer's yeast at the beginning of quarantine. Now I'm a pro with my instant Baker's yeast, like the flavor and getting ~85% attenuation.
It's got a little banana and clove. I would compare it to WLP 300. It costs about $4.50 for 4 oz and my wife used it for baking.
I was gonna order US-05 or -04 and couldn't find them as recently as 2 weeks ago.
I'll try with my next Homebrews order, but that's probably a month or 2 out.

Even a 1 gallon batch and a $1.35 pouch of Fleischmann's is worth the test

Gruel

Reaction score
So your experience is baking yeast is good for Hefeweizen? That would be super convenient!

monkeymath

Reaction score
So your experience is baking yeast is good for Hefeweizen? That would be super convenient!
I always assumed baking yeast was perfect for Brown Porters. Huh.

Joking aside, you can find lots of reports by people that tried using baking yeast. The results have been mixed. I would not assume that all baking yeast was the same. I would also not assume that yeast specifically designed for baking would perform as well at making Hefeweizen as a yeast strain that has been selected for its ability to produce Hefeweizen. It's certainly possible, but not all too likely, I'd say.

amber-ale

Reaction score
A few years ago I tested one wort with multiple yeast, one of which was bread yeast. Over the years we have selected bread yeast for its ability to produce lots of gas bubbles relatively quickly so our bread will be nice and soft. We have not selected for any special flavors. the intense gas production strips out some of the nice flavors you are working so hard to put INTO your beer

All fermenting yeast gives you alcohol and therefore beer, but each yeast lends a different flavor. Bread yeast was not as interesting as the ale yeasts.
But any yeast is better than no yeast, so maybe you could add a bit extra flavorful grains to offset the bland and flavor stripping bread yeast you
CAN get right now

Gruel

Reaction score
monkey, amber, thanks for the comments, but this was more a question for dnr .

bwible

Born to brew, forced to work
Reaction score
This will be a lot of fun at family get togethers because my FIL was a part-time clown for many years. I need to come up with a beer I can call "Balloon Animals", maybe a funnel cake pastry stout?
Pastry beers are a real thing now, don’t laugh

Last edited:

beersk

Reaction score
According to what was posted above by @Bobbybob it produces isoamyl acetate which is found in a lot of fruits but comes across as banana so it is a natural for hefeweizen, but it would also work well with fruity hops in an IPA to boost the overall fruit impression.
We talking about this Hans Delbruck?

1593794193806.png

Gruel

Reaction score
Probably more his son Max, a biophysicist who got a Nobel Prize for viruses.