I'm A Little Annoyed At Great Lakes Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made a trip to Great Lakes Brewing last week. I was traveling with some friends. We decided to make a detour so we could stop by, have a beer, and get some dinner before continuing with the trip.

The website said they were open until midnight. We arrived a little after 10PM.

As soon as we walked in, the bartender yelled 'We're closing early, and there's no food'. She said we could have 1 beer, then had to leave. She gave us a beer, gave us directions to other places that were open in the area, then pretty much kicked us out. A few other people walked in while we were there and were told that they were closed.

I was a little ticked off at this. I made a long trip to get there, and thought we were treated kinda poorly. I read some reviews, and other people have made the same comments about GLB. I'm not sure if I'll be going back to GLB again.

Great Lakes Brewing Co in Cleveland? I ask because that doesn't sound like them at all. Every experience I've had with them has been nothing but outstanding.

While most would start the social media bashing from the get go, I would write them an email. It can't hurt, right?

Well, we did get 1 beer, so I'll give them that.

I've been there before.

I'll still buy Nosferatu and Great Lakes Monster when it comes out.

I'm just a little annoyed, that's all. I'm not trying to get the place shut down or anything. :D

I visited GLB last month and honestly was not all that impressed. Their beers are good, but not as good as many of the beers coming out from other breweries now. I get the sense that they've been resting on their laurels, which is strange considering the number of breweries in NE Ohio now.

Are there really two (or more??) breweries named "Great Lakes Brewery?" Here's the one I'm familiar with, out of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Is there another one? How has there not been a trademark dispute over this? With breweries fighting over the names of particular beers, surely the name of the brewery itself would elicit far more legal vigor, no?

I feel your pain man! I would be a little ticked too. BUT that said. Ya never know there might have been a family emergency or something to force their hand at closing early. I think I would send an email to the owner and asking for a simple explanation so you can be armed with that 411 if you are ever in the area again.

Just a thought from a business owners perspective. Now, if it was just "we were slow" Uhhhh that would just suck!

Cheers
Jay

Are there really two (or more??) breweries named "Great Lakes Brewery?" Here's the one I'm familiar with, out of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Is there another one? How has there not been a trademark dispute over this? With breweries fighting over the names of particular beers, surely the name of the brewery itself would elicit far more legal vigor, no?

Great Lakes cle opened in 88 the Toronto opened in 87 or 90. But I would think they're both screwed from distributing in each other's country.

I think it's pretty standard of them to close early like that. They are a great brewery though. I hope you hit all of the othe places within walking distance.

I visited GLB last month and honestly was not all that impressed. Their beers are good, but not as good as many of the beers coming out from other breweries now. I get the sense that they've been resting on their laurels, which is strange considering the number of breweries in NE Ohio now.

If I have a choice, I head over to Fat Head's. That place is fantastic.

Great Lakes cle opened in 88 the Toronto opened in 87 or 90. But I would think they're both screwed from distributing in each other's country.

I think it's pretty standard of them to close early like that. They are a great brewery though. I hope you hit all of the othe places within walking distance.

We did. It's a really nice area. There seems to be a lot going on.

They are more of a "purists" kinda of brewery. Definitely won't find a NE IPA there. Just drinkabilty.

They are more of a "purists" kinda of brewery. Definitely won't find a NE IPA there. Just drinkability.

I think you hit the nail on the head. GLB is happy to make middle of the road beers with broad appeal. My personal tastes have since moved to more adventurous beers thus why I've been favoring Shorts, Dogfish Head, Brew Kettle and Flying Dog lately.

I think Great Lakes makes some solid beers. Nosferatu, Chillwave, Great Lakes Monster, and Burning River to name a few. They might not be super experimental, but they're product is always very good (Although, I wasn't a big fan of their IPL). Sometimes I want a basic beer that just tastes good.

Not really on topic of the thread, but, I ordered a few tin signs off their website (I really like their style of artwork), and for one: my order arrived the second day after it was placed, which I thought was fantastic since the place is almost 400 miles from me, and secondly: they threw in one of their neoprene 6 pack/coolers free of charge with my order! I've always loved their beers and want to visit the brewery someday, so I guess I'll just make sure I plan on visiting WAY before closing time, or maybe try to be first in the door when they open!

But yeah, I woulda been a little pissed if I had to slam a beer and get out.

Back