"ill never be one of those crazys that spend thousands on equipment"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePope

Reaction score
i used to tell myself when i started that i would never be one of those guys... that have to have it all... that ill save a bunch of money if i brew my own...
then i used to tell myself that this equipment is an investment... that itll pay itself off in the long run...
now i have 9 kegs, 3 fermenters, a 15 gallon pot, a bayou burner, a beer fridge, 2 regulators, a double beer tap installed in my kitchen counter, a bunch of assorted fittings, a spunding valve, a $20 spoon thats 3 feet long, hundreds of bottles

basically a couple thousand dollars of equipment....
but im not going to be one of those crazy guys with $1000 fermenters, $1000 brew pot, a mash tun...

i used to tell myself when i started that i would never be one of those guys... that have to have it all... that ill save a bunch of money if i brew my own...
then i used to tell myself that this equipment is an investment... that itll pay itself off in the long run...
now i have 9 kegs, 3 fermenters, a 15 gallon pot, a bayou burner, a beer fridge, 2 regulators, a double beer tap installed in my kitchen counter, a bunch of assorted fittings, a spunding valve, a $20 spoon thats 3 feet long, hundreds of bottles

but im not going to be one of those crazy guys with $1000 fermenters, $1000 brew pot, a mash tun...

Holy crap are you my doppelganger??? My setup is almost exactly the same! I have 9 kegs 3 fermenters, the 16 gal bayou classic AND burner, a beer fridge, a wine fridge, 2 regulators, 2 perlick tap (not in my kitchen, in the garage) bottles yep yep yep.

But you haven't lived until you splurge on this:
Matfer Bourgeat Giant Kitchen Whisk, 40-Inch

61k-pqazeBL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If I want a positive business case for my brewing, I need to stop buying equipment right now, then brew and drink a humongous amount of beer the next many years....
but hey I dont ;)

I do shift work. I also swore I would never ever be one of those guys. All my brew gear is modest but nice. Well after one very long and very hard shift, I bought a 14 gallon SS Brewtech Chronical. I was briefly ashamed but man it sure is fun to use. :)

mash/lauter tun cooler, valve, bazooka, beer bag, mill, burner, pot, fermenter, kegs, co2 cylinder, regulator, lines. it adds up doesn't it.

My wife has no idea how much I've spent the last year! And now I'm looking at doing electrical and a PID for mash temp...oh boy!

Hey, if you've got the income for it... Personally, I have too many other expensive hobbies (photography and music) so I'll never be one of those brewers that HAS $1,000 to spend on a brew kettle.

Started doing extract in my spaghetti pot on the stove.
Now I'm $2000 deep with a 20 gallon EBIAB PID controller,2 tap kegerator under a granite bar top and ferm chamber...Still have that "it'll pay for itself someday" attitude to justify my obsession

Looks like you're just getting started.

I'm in for like 10k and i don't even have a fancy conical with glycol chiller YET.

IMG_2073.jpg

I'm at the point that brewing is my ONLY hobby (and watching hockey). I don't go to bars, I don't party, I don't buy expensive clothes. I have a uniform for work that they pay for. My bills are paid, there's organic food on the table (SWMBO is into that), the house is in good shape, my animals are well cared for and all of our vehicles are paid in full. Yes, I will spend another $1000 :)

Hahahaha love this post. Hi my name is Ben and I'm addicted to brewing.
Was pretty minimalist for a long time- 15 gal keggle, igloo mash tun, food grade buckets and glass carboys. Used a chest freezer for a fermentation chamber.
Then for Xmas last year dropped over 1K on a dream keezer build. Even DIY style, it was pricey. But now- 4 taps, 6 kegs, I'm in Homebrew heaven!

Brewing is one of the least expensive hobbies I've ever taken up, so even though I'm off the deep end I still justify it as just having fun. Some hobbies, like windsurfing, aren't very social. At least with beer, I have ample opportunities to share with people.

Just yesterday I delivered 2 cases of wedding beer to a friend's celebration in the afternoon and poured through a keg of double IPA at a fundraiser for our summer Shakespeare festival in the evening.

That's my justification and I'm sticking with it.

9 kegs! That's it?!!! Let's go! You need way more than that! You need at least 12 beers on tap, even though you'll probably only drink three of them and the rest will go to waste! Lol!
:ban:

I am fruggle as well as patient. I tend to piece things together a little at a time vs buying everything up front.

For instance, when I decided that I was going to keg I found good deals on pin lock kegs then a good deal on a regulator. A friend gave me a 7cu ft freezer and a 5b C02 tank. I use picnic taps still. May upgrade if I find good deals on faucets, but am happy with my current setup.

I did splurge and buy all of my QDs at the same time. I pieced together/ built my current brew cart. Brewed with it a few weeks back and cannot be happier.

All in all I am well under the $1k mark.

9 kegs and 7 fermenters of various sizes and that's after I've scaled back. Right now, I'm going through a little late spring cleaning of my garage/brewery and see what I need to keep and what can I do without. I want to make the brewery more organized and have it to where everything is within reach and/or in its own place. I hate having to hunt everything down

I want to add a stainless steel table, top tier, and a plumbed in sink. That I think is a justified purchase. I really don't need the top tier as much as I need the table and sink, but I don't mind a little form with my function. I'd also like to add a nitro tap to my kegerator and expand to 6 taps total. I wouldn't mind a motorized mill setup too.

But yeah, I'm not going to be one of those guys either. ;)

Yep I've got issues too! I have to get a storage unit for all the stuff that's supposed to be in the garage oh my!

Yeah I'm easily two grand into kit and counting. Dropped 750 on a pair of brewjackets with the idea that I'll just get another FastFerment. However getting the jacket onto the FF on the wall mounts was a real *****, so now I'm eying up a 7 gallon chronical or two and trying to talk myself out of the brewmaster edition

I could have written this as well. Except more like 15 kegs, 8 fermenters, 20 gallon pot, keezer and fermentation fridge, and 8 beer tap in my keezer.

But... but... I am not one of those "crazy" guys with stainless steel automated brewing conicals that cost thousands of dollars! :)

The most expensive single item in my brewing setup is a freezer which cost just under $300. Pretty much everything else is well under $100 (except 20lb CO2 tank and brewometer). But it adds up - my totals are between $3K and $4K in equipment.

well here I find myself, started with a bucket and carboy. seems the buying never ends with this. :) already had the chiller from my saltwater tank so one less thing I bought for beer. guess I need to add the 5 kegs, 2 kegerators, 5 taps, 2 x 5lb c02, 1 x 10 lb c02, grain storage.....barley crusher....

img_02871-67326.jpg

img_02881-67327.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have a lot of cash, so everything we buy is always discussed quite a bit.
Homebrewing equipment wise, i'm probally close to 250 € or so.
compared to gardening (450 euros just for a greenhouse) or fishing it's pretty cheap.

I think a lot of our choices in equipment say more about who we are than about brewing.

I have resisted kegging for quite a while, but I now switched sides and think kegging is not just for convenience/time saving, it does produce a superior tasting beer in many regards.

However, I also believe that without going full kegging route, you can produce excellent, even outstanding beers with just $300-$500. I still think that if you don't mind bottling (and have plenty of time) and money is an issue, bottling is the best way to have the best variety of beers and solid pipeline for very little equipment investment cost.

Kegging with proper serving equipment (keggerator/keezer etc.) and all accessories will cost you a few grand (in my opinion once you go kegging route, it is silly to limit yourself to 1-2 beer options, might as well go for 4-10 serving options!).

Currently, more than 75% of my equipment purchases are related to kegging and serving from kegs (taps, kegs, regulators, tanks, connectors etc.).
But kegging also allows me to scale up easily and brew more, without the overhead of time/effort spent bottling, which makes me a better brewer in the end, so it's somewhat justified for me - maybe for you too.

What I still don't quite understand is the appeal of much more fancy equipment - like automated brewing, stainless fermentors etc. If money is no object, sure, of course, count me in - but the benefit to me seems mostly cosmetic or very modest time savings, while expenses sky rocket, while quality of the beer should be about the same.

The approach a lot of us undertake: $50 DIY 60qt. plastic mashtun and $100, 20 Gallon Aluminum pot, a burner and immersion chiller (DYI in my case), maybe DYI stirplate, combined with 10 or so fermenters, some glass, some plastic, and a lot of kegs, is the cheapest route to establishing a pipeline that allows brewing weekly or monthly 10-15 Gallon batches, splitting them up for various experimental hop or fruit addition, with fermentation temperature control, cold-crashing, ability to serve numerous batches, have room in pipeline for 1-year old sour aging or 3-month+ strong beers, etc. - for a relatively modest investment of maybe $3K or so.

To me this is the most versatile, flexible and inexpensive setup that while perhaps not the most elegant or visually appealing, does accomplish the task and does not compromise quality whatsoever - and can be adopted to almost any home-brewing schedule requirements, up to 30-50G per month.

The alternative is to have a much more fancy setup that cost about the same, say $3K, or more, but limits you to a single 5G batch at a time and also limits you to 5-10G per month, no long-term aging beers (like sours or imperial stouts) and serving 1 beer at a time.

At work, during some of the water cooler chitchat, I got asked "show much have you put into equipment?" There were a lot of people there and so I said "about $700" and everyone was like "WOW!" ....... Haha oh lord...

I just started, spent the equivalent of about USD$400 and I'm not really wanting for anything at the moment. It's helpful that last year's hobby was learning electronics, so I managed to DIY my temperature controllers and stir plate. Borrowed an immersion chiller off a friend which is a bit small/slow but works.

No way kegging is ever going to get approved by SWMBO so that's one thing I don't have to worry about. Or a ferm fridge. A big 40L conical fermenter would be nice as time and budget allows, otherwise I'm real happy where I am now.

I just started, spent the equivalent of about USD$400 and I'm not really wanting for anything at the moment. It's helpful that last year's hobby was learning electronics, so I managed to DIY my temperature controllers and stir plate. Borrowed an immersion chiller off a friend which is a bit small/slow but works.

No way kegging is ever going to get approved by SWMBO so that's one thing I don't have to worry about. Or a ferm fridge. A big 40L conical fermenter would be nice as time and budget allows, otherwise I'm real happy where I am now.

We all have been there.

talk to us in a year or two, so you can brag about your fermentation fridge and 5-10 kegs.

:mug:

Both are more important and will give you a lot more bang for the buck than 40L conical, in my opinion.

I got a mr beer thing for the company Christmas giveaway. Everyone laughed cuz they all know (35 person business) how much work (and Benjamins) I put into my brewing system. In it for well over 1k and that's before I started kegging. But hey I'll find a use for the mr beer keg someday. And I'll gladly spend a few more thousands in this wonderful hobby/life/obsession. Besides SWMBO makes more than I do so she'll never care.

"I'll never be one of those crazys that spend thousands on equipment"

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight! We ALL say that.....:D

12 Kegs, commercial fridge with 4 taps on top and 4 cold crash kegs on bottom, 2 tap kegerator, 6 bucket fermenters for beer and wine, 18 carboy secondaries, Mason jars + spare fridge for yeast slurries + extra beer (0.5 - 1 gallon "overages"), part of the deep freezer in the garage for hops and frozen bottles, 2 mash coolers, 1 110qt cooler for fermenting, miles of tubes, racking canes, spray bottles, etc., 4+ kettles, 10+ cases of bottles...

I told my wife it's about $75. Think she believes me?

We all have been there.

talk to us in a year or two, so you can brag about your fermentation fridge and 5-10 kegs.

:mug:

Both are more important and will give you a lot more bang for the buck than 40L conical, in my opinion.

heh, yep. Playing with all the cool gear is half the fun. I feel like a rocket scientist with my cool homemade stir plate.

heh, yep. Playing with all the cool gear is half the fun. I feel like a rocket scientist with my cool homemade stir plate.

I think building equipment is just as much fun as using it, and more fun than buying stuff. I also use DYI $10 stirplate made from a computer fan with my son's lego pieces as the base. I built my own immersion cooler from 50' of copper tubing. Mashtun is a 70qt Coleman cooler (blue of course) converted with ball-lock and hose shielding as a drain screen. Home-made temperature controller enclosures/cables, home-made collar for keezer etc.

I am now urging my neighbor to try kegging just so I can help him build a collar for a freezer. Those projects are fun.

the issue with kegging is that it requires a lot of space and money to really improve upon bottling.

If i had cash/room for around 6-8 kegs in a cool area, several taps, a keezer, and all that, I would love not to have to bottle, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Plus, pilsners and belgian style beers are just more fun to cellar in bottles.

Looks like you're just getting started.

I'm in for like 10k and i don't even have a fancy conical with glycol chiller YET.

You should consider a Fast Ferment Conical and an air conditioner or dehumidifier for glycol, that won't even increment in the 10k number rounding up!!

As I moved from 5 to 10 then 20 and now to 30 gallon batches ( First one this week end) I may have to get a bigger John Deere ....... Do they come in SS?

IMG_1686.JPG

I feel the pain here. I am just 1 year into homebrewing and I currently own:
Deluxe Brewing kit from NB with 2 glass carboys
All-Grain full kit with burners, 3 converted igloos, more glass carboys, grain storage
Perlick professional tap with steel top converted to 4 taps
Multiple wireless temp and brewometers
Grainfather brewing system
7 Ball lock kegs
and another $500 or so worth of random equipment (water containers, refractometers, chemicals, water filtering etc)

So glad I decided I would only buy the one kit and just enjoy extract brewing.. ... ... -_-;;

Back