IIPA with limited hops selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatDragon

Not actually a dragon.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been browsing the recipes database for a good IIPA, and it seems like all the big recipes use Centennial, Columbus, and/or Amarillo, none of which are readily available to me.

My options are:

Cascade
Citra
Chinook
Mosaic
Saaz
EK Goldings
Willamette
Qingdao
Perle
Nugget
Simcoe
Hersbrucker
Palisade
Mt. Hood
Sladek

I can't say what flavor profile I'm looking for exactly, except that my all-Mosaic will cover my needs for a super-fruity IPA for the next couple months.

Any suggestions for what hops to focus on for a decent IIPA with this hop selection?

Chinook are great for bittering. Last IIPA I made, those were my workhorse. I can't recommend them enough.

Some combination of the following would be good in my opinion:

Chinook/Citra - Pine and tropical fruit

Citra/Simcoe/Mosaic - Dank, citrus, tropical

Great beers are made with Cascade. Buy a pound and use it all preferably with half added as dry hop.

You have a good selection. Citra and Simcoe would also play well.

So I should be good if I bitter with Chinook and then split Citra and Simcoe on the flavor/aroma/dry hop? Would Cascade complement that or muddy it up?

If I had those options, I would try Chinook/Cascade. But I will be honest, I have no idea how it would turn out. I just know Chinook has good bittering properties and Cascade is a good all around IPA hop.

Back